• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Performance Mods?

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
What engine do you have Solid? Because one TX summer after my efan install and I saw 237F and now my HVAC isn't working properly from the 10hr ordeal I had to go thru with the efan and my 5.3L.

Did a trip yesterday with the exact same weather conditions except with my OEM clutch fan setup at at 75-80MPH the highest I saw was 204F vs 237F!!! Absolutley nothing was wrong with my Alpha except the Efan when I hit TFT/WT 237.... Now my HVAC freezes up and my HVAC friend thinks it got overstressed/worked from the 10hr adventure of running hot. Expansion valve is going to get replaced, along with the pressure switch. Then we'll see how it does.

I emailed PCM Of NC and while sorry they recommended the shround with vents vs my shroud. Acted like I'm supposed to just buy another Efan kit with a new shroud, sorry but I'll pass.
 
Last edited:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Having the same power as a V8 is just as good if not better then 15 mpg city


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Well in that case, the possibilities are endless, as long as your wallet is too :D

You mentioned you had an exhaust or already knew about it performance wise, if i remember correctly someone makes long tube headers for the I5, that with the exhaust should add some decent power.
-You can also put in performance cam shaft (if someone makes it)
-Bore and Stroke the engine
-Turbo/Supercharge (expensive and possibly unreliable)
-get an actual tune, other than the pcm where you do multiple dyno runs and street tests to really dial in the tune vs. just a baseline universal tune.
 

benlaud87

Well-Known Member
Messages
849
Location
Maryland
What engine do you have Solid? Because one TX summer after my efan install and I saw 237F and now my HVAC isn't working properly from the 10hr ordeal I had to go thru with the efan and my 5.3L.

Did a trip yesterday with the exact same weather conditions except with my OEM clutch fan setup at at 75-80MPH the highest I saw was 204F vs 237F!!! Absolutley nothing was wrong with my Alpha except the Efan when I hit TFT/WT 237.... Now my HVAC freezes up and my HVAC friend thinks it got overstressed/worked from the 10hr adventure of running hot. Expansion valve is going to get replaced, along with the pressure switch. Then we'll see how it does.

I emailed PCM Of NC and while sorry they recommended the shround with vents vs my shroud. Acted like I'm supposed to just buy another Efan kit with a new shroud, sorry but I'll pass.

I think he has the same efan I do which is from 355nation. Supermod(James) makes an efan. You can have it controlled by the PCM or the version that is controlled by the temperature. I have the one controlled by the temperature. I've been driving around in temps around 90-95 with no issues.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
PCM of NC actually didn't calibrate my speedometer right at 25 i'm actually going 23 and at 45 i'm actually going 43. Anyone else have this problem?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

SolidusJ

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,028
Location
FT. Carson, CO
what engine do you have solid? Because one tx summer after my efan install and i saw 237f and now my hvac isn't working properly from the 10hr ordeal i had to go thru with the efan and my 5.3l.

Did a trip yesterday with the exact same weather conditions except with my oem clutch fan setup at at 75-80mph the highest i saw was 204f vs 237f!!! Absolutley nothing was wrong with my alpha except the efan when i hit tft/wt 237.... Now my hvac freezes up and my hvac friend thinks it got overstressed/worked from the 10hr adventure of running hot. Expansion valve is going to get replaced, along with the pressure switch. Then we'll see how it does.

I emailed pcm of nc and while sorry they recommended the shround with vents vs my shroud. Acted like i'm supposed to just buy another efan kit with a new shroud, sorry but i'll pass.

Running with the 3.7L. I got the PCM tune and their can kit, wasn't happy going from 15MPG down to 13MPG.
 
Last edited:

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
PCM of NC actually didn't calibrate my speedometer right at 25 i'm actually going 23 and at 45 i'm actually going 43. Anyone else have this problem?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Yep. I'm about 3 mph fast on the Speedo. 65mph shows about 62mph on my Garmin GPS...
 

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
What brand is yours?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the fan from supermodulation on the 355nation (Colorado/canyon forums). I really can't say enough good about it. It's quiet and does an amazing job. Install was super easy. James is a top notch guy to deal with too. I have nothing but good things to say from his work.
I got his bundle pack the efan (v8 version), super sparks, ported throttle body for $500 shipped. Then did the PCM tune from him for $150 that included the loaner PCM that he let me uses for 2 weeks while we sent mine back and forth 3 times to dial my tune in. Constant communication. I eventually ended up buying the hptuners pro from him to get my tune spot on and change things around how I wanted.

Today temps are 96 on the asphalt. Never makes it above 180 on the dash. The scanner says the same. It looks like all efans are not created equal.

Best4x4 the shroud actually does make all the difference in the world. James was telling me the why on that when I was buying his. It sounds like the pcmofnc guys know that too they just want you to spend more money on it to get their "better" version. Why not just offer the better one as the standard so their product actually works???
:( sucks man sorry.
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
Yeah I'm a little upset after almost killing my rig with their setup. I emailed them about the issue warning them to honestly not even offer it for the V8 H3's. All I got back was "does your shroud have cut outs with flaps? We tested it here in NC with no issues, and it if you'd like to try that." No free replacement shroud offered nada zip nothing. I am perfectly happy with my OEM cooling setup as it actually works!

My Alpha was in tip top shape before the 10hr torture test and I am still working on getting my Alpha back up to the way it was operating before the 237F 10hr ordeal. The HVAC is no longer working properly and after about a 30min ride the Evaporator freezes up, and I must run the heater to melt the ice off. All of that started mid trip during the 30F higher operating temps. The engine and transmission are fine thank goodness!!!

I will no longer recommend PCM of NC's Efan kit to anyone. Tried selling it locally, but honestly I don't want to pass it on to someone else and have them have cooling issues after the fact. One of the reasons I removed it from the Swap Meet section.
 

Airborne

Just a regular dude
Messages
294
Location
Utah
ha ha "upset"? I would be super pissed their crappy product almost killed your truck. Now that they are accepting zero liability would make me even more mad. There is a saying in the military that goes something like... I would keep tap dancing on that mf's desk until something happens... They should at least have your hvac fixed if nothing else.
 

poweraidon

Well-Known Member
Messages
830
Location
georgia
I have the fan from supermodulation on the 355nation (Colorado/canyon forums). I really can't say enough good about it. It's quiet and does an amazing job. Install was super easy. James is a top notch guy to deal with too. I have nothing but good things to say from his work.
I got his bundle pack the efan (v8 version), super sparks, ported throttle body for $500 shipped. Then did the PCM tune from him for $150 that included the loaner PCM that he let me uses for 2 weeks while we sent mine back and forth 3 times to dial my tune in. Constant communication. I eventually ended up buying the hptuners pro from him to get my tune spot on and change things around how I wanted.

Today temps are 96 on the asphalt. Never makes it above 180 on the dash. The scanner says the same. It looks like all efans are not created equal.

Best4x4 the shroud actually does make all the difference in the world. James was telling me the why on that when I was buying his. It sounds like the pcmofnc guys know that too they just want you to spend more money on it to get their "better" version. Why not just offer the better one as the standard so their product actually works???
:( sucks man sorry.

Does that shroud matter that much? Because my h3 has been inning hot ever since I changed the radiator. I didn't turn the fan shroud back to the way it was before (the inside where you have the tabs on the side and you can turn it) was because it was kinda stuck and didn't think it mattered the much. Could that be why?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
I'm just being kind since they're a sponsor on here, and have done others great with their PCM tunes and such. Yeah I am truly upset at them acting like just cause it "works" in NC that it should be fine everywhere else. Texas heat IS NOT the same as NC heat. I sent them an email to inform them that their product does not properly cool a V8 powered H3. My H3 was perfect last summer in the exact same temps/conditions with the stock setup. This was the Efan's first summer and it failed horribly! Having my HVAC messed up now is what truly has me upset. The Expansion Valve, and pressure switch aren't that much $$, but we're honestly guessing that's the problem at this point as I don't have the $$$ to take it into a local GM dealership to have it diagnosed. I paid darn good money for that Efan, and their support on their product sucks IMHO.
 
Last edited:

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
Are you talking about the OEM shroud Poweraidon? If so yeah it's important that the shroud is rotated all the way around. It makes the fan have more suction which will of coarse pull more air through the radiator.

On my 05 Rubicon I installed a BL. It raised the body and made my fan be off center. It didn't rub so I wasn't worried about it. Then the first summer heatwave came and I couldn't figure out why it was running warmer. A jeep's temp gauge is far worse at lying vs an H3's. It'll sit at 210 all day long via the gauge but use a Scangauge II and it could be as high as 235F..... I started checking things and eventually I read up on people with BL's having the same issue. In the end it was due to the fan not having a good enough suction due to the fan not being centered in the shroud properly or the blade being at an angle. I installed a MML and it centered my fan back up and the cooling issue went away.
 

poweraidon

Well-Known Member
Messages
830
Location
georgia
Does that shroud matter that much? Because my h3 has been running hot ever since I changed the radiator. I didn't rotate the fan shroud back to the way it was before (the inside where you have the tabs on the side and you can turn it) was because it was kinda stuck and didn't think it mattered the much. Could that be why?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I was correcting a misspelling and accidentally quoted myself



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

poweraidon

Well-Known Member
Messages
830
Location
georgia
Are you talking about the OEM shroud Poweraidon? If so yeah it's important that the shroud is rotated all the way around. It makes the fan have more suction which will of coarse pull more air through the radiator.

On my 05 Rubicon I installed a BL. It raised the body and made my fan be off center. It didn't rub so I wasn't worried about it. Then the first summer heatwave came and I couldn't figure out why it was running warmer. A jeep's temp gauge is far worse at lying vs an H3's. It'll sit at 210 all day long via the gauge but use a Scangauge II and it could be as high as 235F..... I started checking things and eventually I read up on people with BL's having the same issue. In the end it was due to the fan not having a good enough suction due to the fan not being centered in the shroud properly or the blade being at an angle. I installed a MML and it centered my fan back up and the cooling issue went away.

Thanks man! No wonder why it was running so hot... Does anyone have a picture of what the shroud should look like rotated around... It's been like 2 months now and there are 3 tabs in the idk which one fits where


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
It should just be closed in all the way around like how the top section is. When you rotate it for removal it basically rotates around to the top section which is fixed leaving the bottom part open for easier removal of clearing the fan. So rotate it down until it stops and leaves the bottom closed like the top.
 

poweraidon

Well-Known Member
Messages
830
Location
georgia
It should just be closed in all the way around like how the top section is. When you rotate it for removal it basically rotates around to the top section which is fixed leaving the bottom part open for easier removal of clearing the fan. So rotate it down until it stops and leaves the bottom closed like the top.

Just fixed it... I last left it only covering half of the bottom. Hopefully it correct my over heating problem


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
It won't hurt it that's for sure! I'd still like to locate a NOS (new old stock) 180F thermostat for my 07 Adventure H3. The newer 190's make it run warmer than I'd like it run.
 

amrg

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,317
Location
Qatar
It won't hurt it that's for sure! I'd still like to locate a NOS (new old stock) 180F thermostat for my 07 Adventure H3. The newer 190's make it run warmer than I'd like it run.
Same here, ever since I did a radiator flush and changed the thermos, I feel my engine is warmer and I get more lag now the temps are over 110!
Im seriously considering removing my clutch fan for the dual electric setup on the V8.
 

poweraidon

Well-Known Member
Messages
830
Location
georgia
Yeah I just drove it and the gauge went back to being really close 3/4... So idk I heard the gauge isn't accurate though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
Are you talking about the OEM shroud Poweraidon? If so yeah it's important that the shroud is rotated all the way around. It makes the fan have more suction which will of coarse pull more air through the radiator.

On my 05 Rubicon I installed a BL. It raised the body and made my fan be off center. It didn't rub so I wasn't worried about it. Then the first summer heatwave came and I couldn't figure out why it was running warmer. A jeep's temp gauge is far worse at lying vs an H3's. It'll sit at 210 all day long via the gauge but use a Scangauge II and it could be as high as 235F..... I started checking things and eventually I read up on people with BL's having the same issue. In the end it was due to the fan not having a good enough suction due to the fan not being centered in the shroud properly or the blade being at an angle. I installed a MML and it centered my fan back up and the cooling issue went away.

What is an MML?
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
Motor Mount Lift. Something I doubt we'll ever see made for our H3's. On Jeep's once you install a Body Lift your fan is no longer in the proper position along with many other things like the linkage for the 4wd or if it's a manual transmission the shifter hits the tub. When I did my 05 LJ I did a 3/4 BL, followed by a 1inch MML. That combined with my tummy tuck put everything very close to the stock locations.

It was amazing how many people would just throw on a tummy tuck, a 4inch lift, go wheeling and wonder why they broke a driveshaft, destroyed their cooling fan/radiator, or couldn't even engage 4x4......
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
Without a scangauge it's going to be very hard to tell if your temps are going up/down due to the gauge being so sensitive. On my wife's 07 with the 3.7L half is 195-199, while half to 3/4 is 200-213F. From my horrific Alpha Efan trip I learned that 3/4 was 220-230F, and just above 3/4 is 230-237F.. I lost 4-6F by just removing the lower skidplate and watching the temps with my scangauge. If I didn't have my scangauge I'm pretty sure I'd have blown my Alpha clean up! I was able monitor it, and pull over and cool things down before I went into the 240's....... 237F was the highest peak temp I saw thank goodness.

I am extremely happy to report with the OEM fan clutch setup the Alpha ran 204-206F at 75-80MPH and if it ain't broke I'm not fixing it!!! I was honestly just waiting for my stock OEM radiator to pop like a zit! If I hadn't have paid so much for PCM of NC Efan I'd just pump it full of some buckshot and toss it in the trash!
 

digglesworth

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,789
Location
illinois
Thanks best. I have a 1" body lift on the way for my h3. I haven't heard anyone having issues like that with the h3 but its good info and I'll be sure to keep an eye on things.
 

benlaud87

Well-Known Member
Messages
849
Location
Maryland
1" body lift on an h3 you won't have to worry about the fan not cooling your engine. I can see it being an issue if you were to be using 2 inches or more.
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
Anytime you lift the body and the frame mounted engine stays put you'll have clearances change. The steering linkage angle from the column to steering rack/box will change some, the fan shroud/fan blade clearance will change, and some electrical connections can get tight, and your radiator hose angles will also change (On a Jeep the top OEM hose got pinched badly).

Not at all familiar with the H3 Body Lift, but I would certainly check the fan shroud clearance and the upper radiator hose tension before/after before you crank it up and hear a horrible sound lol.
 
Top