• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Prepare for another round of gun control

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
This should be a perfect example for concealed carry. If more people carried someone should have been able to drop this turd after his first few shots.
 

DJinCO

Well-Known Member
This should be a perfect example for concealed carry. If more people carried someone should have been able to drop this turd after his first few shots.

The problem is the theater owners. Here in Colorado, all of the theaters have NO GUN - NO CONCEALED WEAPONS - post at the ticket booth.

So if one does carry into the theater, they are breaking the law. The majority of CCW holders are very law abiding, and follow those rules.

I don't place my family at risk, so we haven't been to a movie theater in about 10 years. Same for the malls.

So until the owners of the establishments understand that law abiding CCW holders are NOT the problem, I won't go there.

I did notice a sign at the Goodyear store also. I expect that was a corporate decision, not a local decision.

Yes, tragic, very tragic.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Very tragic...at the end of the day gun control will keep guns out of the good citizens hands and not the whack job...they will still find a way to get guns putting the good average citizen at a disadvantage in protecting his/her family
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
The problem is the theater owners. Here in Colorado, all of the theaters have NO GUN - NO CONCEALED WEAPONS - post at the ticket booth.

So if one does carry into the theater, they are breaking the law. The majority of CCW holders are very law abiding, and follow those rules.

I don't place my family at risk, so we haven't been to a movie theater in about 10 years. Same for the malls.

So until the owners of the establishments understand that law abiding CCW holders are NOT the problem, I won't go there.

I did notice a sign at the Goodyear store also. I expect that was a corporate decision, not a local decision.

Yes, tragic, very tragic.

Come over to UT; those no gun signs have no enforcement for a business, unless the owner/manager notices the gun and asks you to leave; at which time you do have to leave. Could be why I have never seen a sign in UT.

As for shooting the dude. Well, could you? With a few hundred people running around like chickens with their heads cut off between you and the shooter, would you get a clear shot? You can bet if you accidently shoot someone while trying to take him down; you would be sued.

Personally, if I had a clear shot, I would take it, but with his vest it makes a shot even harder. Head shots are cool on TV, but under stress, a bit difficult.

Strange I saw on TV this AM that this type of shooting has not increased in twenty years, and in fact, it is safer now then it was 20 years ago. I believe that Huckabee is having someone on this PM with those FBI stats (I believe!!!!!! that's what I heard).

As for the anti-gunners, they will whine and cry for a few weeks, then it will settle down to their standard BS. Don't believe there is anyway in hell anything to constrain rifles or handguns will happen in an election year (at least at the Federal level). It does appear that CO is turning more blue every year, so who knows about state law.
 

DJinCO

Well-Known Member
I agree Doug. Taking a shot at someone like that is very hard in reality. In that situation it would be a few seconds before you realize what is happening. I am sure that the bad guy was using the movie and the confusion to increase the mayhem. I cannot fathom how long his sick mind was planning this event. If I were in that theater, I would have first thought that this was part of the movie premier event.

I am on a mini-vacation in the mountains, far away from TV news, and the internet is only fast enough for web apps like H40. Steaming media is out - probably a good thing. In the evening we watch the stars and then the DVD box set of Andy Griffith show.

I hope to never ever have to be in a situation such as happened in that theater.
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
Difficult yes, but given a choice I would rather have the option of taking the difficult shot. The reports I saw said most were shot at close range. At 10 yards I can punch paper with almost anybody. Shooting a live target in a stress situation degrades your capability dramatically. That is what the training is for, to reduce that degradation. That is one reason for my Front Site Diamond membership. I am hopeful that all of the extra training and repetition raises my chances.
i was unaware that it was against the law to carry into a theatre in Colorado. Doug like you I would avoid the places that restricted my right to carry.
 

backcountryislife

Well-Known Member
Messages
858
Location
Dumont, CO
I agree that it may be hard... But I'd rather at least have the chance. This guy was smart, don't doubt for a second he chose this place BECAUSE carry wasn't allowed. I carry up here when I'm in lion country, but I'm going to get my ccw now & same with my wife.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
Don't believe it is against the law, it is the property owners posting signs stating no carry allowed. And in some states (not Utah), those signs carry the force of law and if you are caught in the location with a gun, you can be arrested and charged.

In addition, some states that have written into law the enforcement of private enterprises to post no handguns they might also have a justifiable defense law written into the code. A good example is the state of TN. If a business posts a sign, as described by the TN code, and you are found in that place with a handgun, you can be prosecuted under the law. However, if during the time you were in the business, and even if you were there illegally, if you used your weapon in a justifiable defense of yourself or someone else; you cannot be charged.

And I'm not saying I would not shoot, be sure I will, but I am saying it could be very tough and it will be over very quickly.

You guys in CO need to get your scored lowered to ZERO, like UT, AZ and AK. Fifteen is way too high....
 
Last edited:
D

Dennis

Guest
God bless the poor souls and the Families in Co.. ..but..

Ted Says it for me..

[video=youtube;OzJbpA8_wl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJbpA8_wl4[/video]
 

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Messages
1,394
Location
The dark side of the globe
For those who didn't read the article, the perp was decked head to toe in body armor. Even if you had a handgun you would have needed to sneak up behind him and pop him under the helmet.

Personally, I blame incidents like this on the progressive degradation of American society. When entire generations are brought up being taught moral relativism, lack of personal responsibility, and all the other social engineering bull**** the liberals have foisted on us, results like this are predictable. Of course, those very same liberals blame it on the availability of firearms, and refuse to listen when you explain how acts like this never occurred fifty+ years ago before their great social experiment :hjob:
 

DJinCO

Well-Known Member
In Colorado if you are carrying (legally) where a business posts "No Guns" you can be charged with trespass.

The places that have legal ban on CCW are Bars, Casinos, government buildings and places that have metal detector/body searches (i.e. airports, courthouses, Colorado State Capital). For this purpose a bar is a place that makes 51% of it's revenue from liquor sales. For example, Applebee's doesn't qualify as a bar, but it does have a bar.

Of course, I am not a lawyer, nor am I an expert on CCW. But I do know my rights.

BTW, open carry is also legal in Colorado, but legal and smart can be two different cases. If you are in King Soopers (grocery store) and open carrying, you are legal. However if you are causing a disturbance because Debbie Democrat is freaking out because she is afraid that the gun will jump out of the holster and start firing in full-auto, well, you could be asked to leave.
 

07Custom

Well-Known Member
Messages
338
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Eh, I'm in New Mexico. Open Carry is Legal and getting a conceal carry license is as easy as a 2 day $75 class. I can legally carry a pistol into a grocery store as long as it is out in the open and no one will say shiit. It's actually weird.
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
Doug,when I noted it isn't actually against the law, I was going on acutal state statute that states actually where you cannot carry such as government buildings, schools, etc., but they don't post the places that post a no-weapons sign. Guess I didn't explain that good enough. While it is in the statute, it is not a crime until an business owner actually posts a sign. So, it is against the law, but only after another action has been taken. And some states do not have a statute that makes violation of the law if you ignore a no weapons sign on a private 'business.'

Also isn't open carry still illegal in Denver due to its home rule status? I know it was involved in a large lawsuit, but never followed it to find out if the person won.

And I forgot to add the line...again, you guys in CO need to get your scores lowered to zero like AZ, AK and UT....
http://www.bradycampaign.org/stategunlaws/scorecard/
(Brady campaign, the only place I know where zero is actually a perfect score!!!!)

Doug...by chance are you up in the WYE campground?


Getting back on subject....
And for those advocating more gun control, they need to remember that this happens in countries that have extreme gun control such as Germany - 2009 school shooting 15 killed, Norway - 2011 77 killed, and Scotland, etc. If this nutcase could not have obtained the guns he used, he probably would have set off a bomb and it is noted, he was a pretty smart bomb maker too. (Still have not figured out why he told the police his apartment was wired with a bomb, if he wanted to kill more people.)

 
Last edited:

deserth3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,078
Location
Conroe, TX
(Still have not figured out why he told the police his apartment was wired with a bomb, if he wanted to kill more people.)
1. As one cop said. He seems to enjoy watching people reacction to waht he's done. (This clown is scairy)
2. This is the important one. He thinks he's smarter than everyone. He thinks there's no way they can disarm his bombs. And if they do it's by accident.
 

TAPDH3T

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,510
Location
Texarkana, Texas
With this being said about the CCW and open carry, trespass, still being charged and what not u have to remember there is a difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law... I don't know about most states. BUt down here in Texas Arkansas and Louisiana it is officers discretion for a misdemeanor crime.. Now if that store owner wants to pursue charges a report can be made and he can try and get a warrant.. But i know in my cases if u have never been convicted of a violent crime, have a criminal history, or a regular that Means u are considered an outstanding citizen and wont have an issue.. I know as a LEO i depend on the upstanding CCW citizens cause i know if the sh&@ hits the fan they are the first to assist cause my back up is a few miles down the road..
 

TAPDH3T

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,510
Location
Texarkana, Texas
Also body armor!!! I don't care how smart this guy was or what experience he might have.. There is nothing that can prepare u for a gun shot wound even if stopped by armor.. A 40 has enough knockdown power to stop /drop him to the ground after a few hits or make him find cover which will take his mind off his task...
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
With this being said about the CCW and open carry, trespass, still being charged and what not u have to remember there is a difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law... I don't know about most states. BUt down here in Texas Arkansas and Louisiana it is officers discretion for a misdemeanor crime.. Now if that store owner wants to pursue charges a report can be made and he can try and get a warrant.. But i know in my cases if u have never been convicted of a violent crime, have a criminal history, or a regular that Means u are considered an outstanding citizen and wont have an issue.. I know as a LEO i depend on the upstanding CCW citizens cause i know if the sh&@ hits the fan they are the first to assist cause my back up is a few miles down the road..

You stil come down to what the other Doug stated, and that is the majority of concealed permit holders follow the laws of the state. And if someone posts a sign that weapons are not allowed, and it is actually against state law to enter that place once posted, then I'm like others, I won't enter. And honestly, thinking back about 30 years, I never entered a business that posted no weapons, even though it was not directed at me and was not technically illegal for me to enter with a weapon.

Even in Utah where it is not illegal, by state statute to enter a business that has posted a no weapons sign, if I ever encountered one, I would not enter. I would take my business somewhere else. The property owner has the right to post (no matter how stupid it is), as I have the right to not frequent the business. So far in Moab, or any other part of Moab I have visited, I have never seen a no weapons sign. I hear there are some in the large city areas; not sure.
 

bro of bro of 3 & 3hummer

Well-Known Member
Messages
198
Location
South Padre Island, Texas
I had gotten rather lax about not picking up my pistol when I left home. As tragic as it is this is a reminder to all of us as to why we got the CCP in the first place. I just signed up for the renewal CE on my permit. While this guy was inbody armor and we might not had killed him someone with a weapon could sure have got his attention. I have been carrying my 380 but I think I'm going looking for a small 45 now.
 

TAPDH3T

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,510
Location
Texarkana, Texas
I agree... Down here all we would do is ask u to leave no charge (criminal charge) these business owners don't understand that yall are the first line of defense... It takes 3-5 minutes to call the dispatcher relay to police and us getting there.. Depending of call volume of course lol.. A CCW holder that is on scene is going to do what he can to protect himself and his family which relates to saving other lives..
 

deserth3

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,078
Location
Conroe, TX
I had gotten rather lax about not picking up my pistol when I left home. As tragic as it is this is a reminder to all of us as to why we got the CCP in the first place. I just signed up for the renewal CE on my permit. While this guy was inbody armor and we might not had killed him someone with a weapon could sure have got his attention. I have been carrying my 380 but I think I'm going looking for a small 45 now.

Check out the XDs
http://www.xdspistol.com/
 
Top