• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rancho Lift Questions

USMC_315

Hey guys,

I'm kinda leaning towards getting a Rancho kit for my 3 but after reading some threads on here I'm a bit skeptical...

1. I know things will break on the car but will the Rancho leave my Alpha more susceptible to easy breakage that would otherwise not take place?
  2. Will the Rancho lift put extra stress on vehicle parts offroad like cranking the t-bar would do?
  3. Will putting the lift and larger tires together put the truck in a better position for offroading aside from approach and departure angles?
  4. Those of you who have the lift, how much has your gas mileage decreased since adding it?
  5. Would you rather install a Rancho or just crank the t-bars? Why? (Price is not a factor)

Thanks in advance

digglesworth

The lift actually puts things back in spec. Cranking your t-bars puts excess strain on cv shafts and tie rods due to the increased angles. Rancho engineered their kit based on stock geometry.

Panzer07

1. No, and yes...no it won't break the H3 anymore than the stock set up would...only thing that you would break soon it is going to be the front driveshaft boot. And that's due to the new angle and because it would be already old but it is an easy and cheap replacement.

2. No, having the t-bars crank put more stress than rancho does...since rancho sort of sets the truck back at oem stock angles but with a lift. You as the drive would put more stress on the vehicle just because you going to want to do more difficult stuffs lol, I know I do...the lift kit comes with a confidence and ego boost lol.

3.most definitely plus the truck would look more badass and would handle better lol.

4. It remain the same for me the biggest drop on gas was when I installed the 35's and cranked the bars to level the front. I average 12-13 on city with the rancho and 35"s haven't got a tune so it might be a bit more or same when everything is tune or so.

5. I'm pretty sure everyone here would rather have a rancho lift kit than having the T-bars cranked. However the cost of it is what limit or scares people off.

Torres

Last edited:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
As far as offloading goes. Axle clearance comes from the tires. 35s on a lifted vs non lifted h3 will be the same. Frame clearance will be higher. Typically if you lift it, your going to widen your footprint, ie your tires will stick out farther, meaning the stability will be fairly similar to a non lifted h3. I'm are those who have a rancho lifted 3 will confirm this. Everything I've heard and read has stated the on road and offroad performance of a rancho lifted h3 is improved over stock.

4speedfunk

CG is right about the ground clearance...but only when strattling stuff. What isn't quite so obvious, is that approach angle, departure angle, and especially break-over clearance...are drastically improved. Break-over is often overlooked by the H3 crowd but, if the H3 gets hung-up...its almost always due to a high-center situation (where the middle of the truck bottoms out and the tires cannot get traction). You will really notice the Rancho's improvement when cresting sharp-topped hills and steep whoops on the trail...the bottom does not drag near as much as a stock H3. If you think its noticeable on an H3...its even more noticeable on the H3T. The longer wheel-base makes the T a belly-dragger for sure, and the Rancho has even more effect on break-over clearance on the T.

rsc

I would be all over the Rancho if there was a way to put a stronger front diff in. I know, that's not really a limitation of the kit but it kind of is a limitation since bigger tires and tougher terrain will be tackled after install. I think a SAS front end and regear is the real deal for now.

USMC_315

also I'm contemplating the tire size I should do. with the lift I know I could get 37s on there and I'm sure it would look a hell of a lot better, anyone running 37s know what mpg they get?

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Derian, did you take into account that the computer may be off because of the new tire size, unless of course you reprogrammed it or took that into your calculation

Highatop

MPG, like that really matters...But, yes to stock rims w/ 1.75 spacers work just fine. I think tire size is up to you and what your doin w/ your rig. I also think, Derian has a 1" body lift...?

SuperBuickGuy

I would be all over the Rancho if there was a way to put a stronger front diff in. I know, that's not really a limitation of the kit but it kind of is a limitation since bigger tires and tougher terrain will be tackled after install. I think a SAS front end and regear is the real deal for now.

since the OP has been well answered by the rest - there are options, not cheap options, but there are options.... check out Bebe's build on the Hummer section of Pirate.

derian06

Red Rockett
MPG, like that really matters...But, yes to stock rims w/ 1.75 spacers work just fine. I think tire size is up to you and what your doin w/ your rig. I also think, Derian has a 1" body lift...?
I do have a 1" body lift as well
14 mpg?! I'm not even getting that now..... I guess I need to change my driving habits :giggle:
When I drive normally i'm getting about 11, but normally for me is flooring it every couple of miles.
Derian, did you take into account that the computer may be off because of the new tire size, unless of course you reprogrammed it or took that into your calculation
I accounted for the difference

USMC_315

^^ so you aren't getting 14? I'm confused

whats the difference going to be between 35s and 37s on the gas? I'm going trail grapplers but I'm not sure if the extra 2" will be worth it...

derian06

Red Rockett
^^ so you aren't getting 14? I'm confused

whats the difference going to be between 35s and 37s on the gas? I'm going trail grapplers but I'm not sure if the extra 2" will be worth it...

I went from a 33 to a 37, and I had the exact same gas mileage from 35's stock to 37's with rancho.

33-37 is a 11% difference so if I go 200 miles it's actually 222 miles. If I go 50 mph its about 55.

USMC_315

35 to 37 is not 2 inches , it's only an inch in lift .

it's a 2 inch difference, but you have to remember half of that increase is on the top side of the tire. so while there is a one inch increase below the rim (which will actually lift the truck) there is also another inch on the top side of the tire. if that makes any sense

Highatop

Yes for the back half and the front needs to be modded...Its alittle hard to see, hope it helps

Attachments

• front ucp with lift 006.jpg
    front ucp with lift 006.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 211
  • front ucp with lift 004.jpg
    front ucp with lift 004.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 202
  • front ucp with lift 003.jpg
    front ucp with lift 003.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 201
  • front ucp with lift 002.jpg
    front ucp with lift 002.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 235
  • front ucp with lift 001.jpg
    front ucp with lift 001.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 213

H3nightrod

Don't mean to highjack this tread.

I am currently running 35s with 1.5 spacers and I like the stance with OEM fender flares. If I were to do the Ranch lift what wheel size do I need to get to keep the same stance (Tires almost flush with fender flares)
without needing the 1.5 spacers? Also can I run the same 35s I have on my OEM wheels and put those on the new wheels?

Thanks for all the feedback in advance!!

derian06

Red Rockett
Don't mean to highjack this tread.

I am currently running 35s with 1.5 spacers and I like the stance with OEM fender flares. If I were to do the Ranch lift what wheel size do I need to get to keep the same stance (Tires almost flush with fender flares)
without needing the 1.5 spacers? Also can I run the same 35s I have on my OEM wheels and put those on the new wheels?

Thanks for all the feedback in advance!!

If you change wheel size like 16"-17" then the tires wont fit, but if you go wider like from 7.5"-10" they should fit fine. The backspacing need to be 4.5" with a specific offset. (My tires rubbed the UCA's at 4.5 with a 0mm offset) the oem wheels with a 1.75" spacer will fit. I dont think you'll beable to have them not stick out at all, but fender flares will fix it.
Pics:
761b7997777e71a35764c80bbcaaa95f.jpg
cb2ce0e64a4f320b8bcbeab14a19ae22.jpg