• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Reaccuring leak from driver side front inner axle seal

HUMMERDAD

Well-Known Member
Messages
141
Location
GraysLake IL
Ok people my baby seems to have this reacuring isssue with the front end. One being that darn knock from the rt front when turning had the wheel bearings replaced and tierod ends too driveing me nuts. And the driver side axle going to the dif will leak any one else with this persistent little quirk? And any suggestions for repairs have had the work done at a checy dealer and Hummer dealer with the same results.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Axle seal leaks are not uncommon and are much more likely if the half shaft has ever been removed/replaced. Is this where it is leaking? If so it is the axle seal.
i-tBtwrgL-L.jpg


As for the knock: have you raised the front end by cranking the torsion bars or adding index keys to your torsion bars? If so, what is the height from center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender?

Why did they replace the tie rod ends? Was there obvious play in them? How many miles do you have on your truck and do you off-road it?

Have you jacked up the front wheels (both) off the ground and checked for play in the wheels, suspension and steering? You have several parts that could be worn from ball joints (though I think that would be a different sound), control arm bushings (though other symptoms might appear), steering rack bushing. Loose shocks could be a part of it.
 

HUMMERDAD

Well-Known Member
Messages
141
Location
GraysLake IL
Truck is bone stock no mods to the suspension what so ever. she has 104,000 miles on her and I have only been mild off roading tie rods worn out had them replaced wheel bearing inner outer replaced worn out again she's my daily driver so gets more street time thee size just not then i care for running the same tire size not just the same rubber have yokahama geolanders stock size both dealers said parts just worn out so replaced them I am just getting ready to have 3rd set in less then 50,000 miles.
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
Your tie rods should not wear out that quickly, at least not with 3 sets in 50,000 miles. For them to wear out that quickly something else is causing the wear. As I mentioned before, jacking up the wheels and checking for movement in the tires, suspension pieces and steering may point to the issue. Hopefully others chime in with ideas too.
 

HUMMERDAD

Well-Known Member
Messages
141
Location
GraysLake IL
I adgree with you thoughts and have expressed this to the dealer hopefully they actually check that right now the parts are still under warienty so letting the dealer handle it for now. I love my truck just don't like the front end set up.
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
I just had my axle seals replaced under warranty. I was talking to a guy at the old Hummer dealer last week and he was saying those are a common problem. He said almost every used H2 they take in they replace the seals.

I wonder if the noise could be from a bad CV joint? I have seen some make a popping/clunking noise when they get bad. Usually the boots are torn and they have been run that way for a long time, but I have seen a few that looked fine from the outside but were just worn out inside. Sometimes people replace just the boots when they tear, making it look good from the outside. Just a thought.
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Piece-o-cake...about 45 minutes per side if you take it slow. No instructions needed...just basic mechanical logic. Abbreviated version...

Jack it up.
Remove lug nuts and wheel.
Remove caliper & rotor.
Remove (1) large nut on the half-shaft.
Remove (3) bolts from the backside of the unit bearing (mark the dust shield for correct position).
Remove unit bearing from knuckle (hammer)
Separate the upper ball joint.
Separate the tie rod end.
Rotate knuckle off to the side out of the way.
Half-shaft pulls out of the differential with a tug.
Replace the seal, (make sure to lube it).
Polish the seal area on half-shaft with emery cloth to remove any burrs or grooves...lube it.
Put it all back in reverse order, (make sure you get the dust shield clocked to the correct position).
Do it again in 25,000 miles.

Axle can stay in place. Noise might also be a worn steering rack bushing, or a toasted front crossmember bushing.

Whoops...I just realized you have an H2. The seal replacement is a bit more involved. I think you might have to crack open the diff and pull the stub flanges out. Considerably more work.
 
Last edited:

justin94tt

Well-Known Member
Messages
169
Location
Springfield VA
I had a knock/thump sound when I would turn left. It ended up being the front right diff. Mount bushing was completely worn out. Replaced all 3 diff. Bushings with an aftermarket kit and couldn't be happier. Also had re occurring front axle seal leaks after 3 Attempts on replacing the seals, the problem was my axles had wore a groove around the shaft and the seals were not sealing correctly. Replaced the axles and the problem is gone. Hope this helps.
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
Mine was leaking and I took it in under warranty. They replaced the seal, but after a week it was leaking again, so I took it back and they put another one in it and it has been fine since.
 

o2man98

Probationary Member
Messages
1
Location
Manitowoc, WI
I had a knock/thump sound when I would turn left. It ended up being the front right diff. Mount bushing was completely worn out. Replaced all 3 diff. Bushings with an aftermarket kit and couldn't be happier. Also had re occurring front axle seal leaks after 3 Attempts on replacing the seals, the problem was my axles had wore a groove around the shaft and the seals were not sealing correctly. Replaced the axles and the problem is gone. Hope this helps.

Where can I find the aftermarket front diff bushing kit for the H2?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
Top