• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Small run to Anza Borrego [Sep 1-2] area [pre-run?]

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
It looks like I'm heading down to the AB desert region later this month with a few co-workers. I'm think the time to scout out a few trails I haven't done before for the fall or spring. We're also going to take a half day to rent a sand rail to go play in the dunes at Octotillo wells on one of the days.

It's short notice but anyone who wants to swing down, let me know. This will be a small speedy group. I'm using this as a shake down run before I head out to CO/UT in September.

/edit

Updated the date. Our plan is to head down early Saturday morning to Borrego Springs, and tour the region, Fonts Point, Calcite Mine, Pumpkin Patch and a few other spots and check out a few easy trails south of Ocotillo Wells SVRA.

We're going to stay Saturday Night in Borrego Springs, and head out to Ocotillo Wells, we got 2 sand rails booked that will be dropped off and we'll take them out for a half day to go through some dunes and other spots. After that a late lunch and a leisurely drive back to LA.

Right now it's just two of us but anyone else who wants to come out is welcome... let me know.
 
Last edited:

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
My edit isn't reflecting the date change, but we're heading down Sept 1st for a round about tour of the area, and some sand rail fun on Sept 2nd. [title fixed - Alex]

We're renting the sandrails from Dezert Adventures south of Ocotillo Wells. $500 deposit and $250 for half day rental of a 2-4 seat rail with engines ranging from 1600-2400cc, which is pretty decent. Not a class 1 car, but not like the 350cc engines slapped into a buggy chassis on Pismo beach either.

If anyone wants to go they can split a rental if they want to drive for a bit or follow along/spot along with the hummer.

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to scout out more trails south of borrego springs. And record more GPS maps to share for a run later this year or early next year...
 
Last edited:

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
I like to plan something out later, a bit different than the usual romp around ocotillo wells since there's plenty of trails. Wouldn't mind doing Heart attack hill one time,but I heard there's a rock formation section that is too narrow for h2/h1's so I'd like to check that out in person to confirm.
 

elripster

Well-Known Member
Messages
111
Location
San Diego
I think I know the rock formation of which you speak. A 100 series Land Cruiser could not fit but my 60 could. I'd agree that an H1 or 2 wouldn't make it through. It's very near the end of that wash that's by Fish Creek camping area.

Frank
 

Fish

Well-Known Member
Messages
871
Location
San Diego, CA
My brother was out there yesteday, his bike stalled for about 45 minutes after going thru this, then they got stuck in Borrego Springs due to all the flash flooding. I'v been camping out there when it rained and its amazing how fast all the washes fill up with water..good times :thumbs:
 

Attachments

  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 393

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
Still doing Saturday/Sunday, debating on going Friday night as well to make a full day out of Saturday, temperatures is cooling off now, maybe in the 90's.

Right now its my co-worker and dad riding with me and Franco in his 92 LE. We both want to do a shake down run on our trucks before driving out to Colorado in mid September.
 

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
Getting ready to go in a few days, going to decide if we're going to head out Saturday morning or Friday night.

Plan is to be around Ocotillo Wells and around Borrego Springs area on Saturday, then head down Saturday night to El Centro. In the morning 2 of us is picking up buggies and we'll check out the Plaster City and Superstition Mountain Off road vehicle areas near Interstate 8.

Once that wraps we'll head back to LA later in the day. I'll post pictures, right now it's just me, Franco and a co-worker.
 

Kurt

Well-Known Member
Messages
958
Location
Orange County, CA
It was a fun run, discovered a few new trails, rescued an F-350 out on Fonts Point, went up to calcite mine road which is slightly more difficult now that some of the dirt and sand has been washed away with recent rains, the trail is more rocky now.

Ran out to the Pumpkin patch, blow sand hill around to the Gas Domes, watched some Coyotes then checked out a canyon on the eastern side which was a dead end due to a cave in.

Went down to El Centro for the night and over to Ocotillo on I-8 for some sand toy rentals and checked out the Plaster City area.. fun but not much different than Ocotillo Wells SVRA in terms of scenery other than being right next to Mexico.

Trucks ran fine, had a check engine code for transmission performance shifting which put the shift pattern back to default, checking the speed sensor tonight so hopefully a sensor swap fixes that.

I'll post pictures in the trail reports section later.
 
Top