• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Steering wheel not straight

lowtrac

My steering wheel was turned to the left a good bit when the truck was going straight. I red about tie rod adjustment and watched some videos but was still unsure what to do so I decided to make my own. Hopefully this helps someone out who may be confused by the "turn them both the same way" stuff.

If you need translation from my native redneck, just let me know.

https://youtu.be/vx-byY8NlNQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rascole

I was under the impression that only the outers were to be adjusted. When I had to straighten my wheel after the lift, I popped the ball joints off and adjusted the outers using the same methodology.

lowtrac

I was under the impression that only the outers were to be adjusted. When I had to straighten my wheel after the lift, I popped the ball joints off and adjusted the outers using the same methodology.

That would work, as you know, but the adjustments would be very "gross" as you'd only be able to adjust in one-turn increments. You get much more granular adjustment by turning the inner tie rods. Plus you don't risk damaging the outer tie rod joint popping it out of the knuckle.

rascole

That would work, as you know, but the adjustments would be very "gross" as you'd only be able to adjust in one-turn increments. You get much more granular adjustment by turning the inner tie rods. Plus you don't risk damaging the outer tie rod joint popping it out of the knuckle.

Now I got ya, I misunderstood, thought you were talking about unthreading the inner from the rack itself. There's not much thread there to adjust.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk