• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Won't be using Les Schwab again...

JPaul

So the tires the dealer had put on the H3 when I bought it turned out to be pretty terrible in the snow (shocking, I'm sure). So today I checked around and felt like going with some Duratac's would be my best bet. I have been going to Les Schwab for tires lately because I was under the impression that they had better warranty on the tires and better service, etc, etc.

So i gave them a call to see if the carried them, they said they don't normally have them in the store but they could check their warehouse. Got a call back saying they could get them for me at $299 each, which based on our conversation I was believing that meant mounted and balanced, out the door, which was comparable to the prices I was looking at at Discount Tire and 4wheelparts. So I went ahead and took the H3 over and got the ball rolling, then walked the 2 miles back to work (in the snow, uphill, really!). This was around 1:30 I had left it there.

Was hoping to get a ride from my boss to go pick it up after work, but when it was quitting time I gave them a call and they were just barely getting it in the garage, it was going to be another hour and a half. So I hung out at work while everyone else went home, finally started walking over there at 6:20 pm (in the snow, downhill this time, but still 2 miles...). Got a call from my wife saying they had called the house to say the truck was done (I had given the guy my cell #, but it turns out he wrote it down wrong). Finally get there at almost 7PM, then find out they seemed to have been confused and didn't think I wanted the 5th tire I asked for to be mounted on the spare on the back (they had loaded it in the truck along with my old tires). I had even paid for the mounting and balancing!

So while I waited more for them to finish that, I took out my receipt to figure out why it cost me $1800 for 5 tires. Turned out they price of $299 per tire was for JUST THE TIRE! (been tired lately so the maths weren't working well in my head before). Even the Goodyear tire shops themselves only charge $231 for the size of Duratrac's I got. I was pretty pissed, but unfortunately I had already paid (without thinking, of course) and they had already mounted all the tires.

They tried explaining how much better their warranty is and whatnot, but seeing how I paid an extra $70+ on five tires, I had basically already paid for a full 6th tire, plus part of a 7th tire!!! :mad:

I know part of it was my fault for not making them show me the actual quote (instead of just printing it out and keeping it for themselves), and all that jazz. But it still pisses me off that I spent nearly $400 extra on these five tires when I could have gone to Discount Tire (who had them at their shop) and paid less than $1400 for them (I had them stud the four on the truck, hence the difference).

I've had other issues with Les Schwab in the past, mostly with them telling me "oh yeah, we can get that done in an hour or two" and then it taking 3 hours before they even get the vehicle in the bay, and it's not just this one location either, every Les Schwab I've been to seems to overpromise (by a lot!) how soon they can get something done, and also seem to charge far more for the same tires as other places do. Once I asked them to check on replacing a tire on my Neon under warranty that had a bulge in the sidewall, and since I was expecting them to just replace it because of their warranty, they ended up prorating it to barely contribute to the price of the brand new tire they went ahead and mounted without asking me if I was ok with that. They seemed to just assume I'd be ok with paying them $90 for a replacement tire without permission. Again, that happened at a different Les Schwab location than my issue tonight was with.

I know not all tire shops are perfect, but with all of these issues I've had, Les Schwab seems to have a company wide culture of trying to get every dime they can out of gullible customers (like I can sometimes be) and lying about when they are actually going to be able to get your vehicle finished. (and it's not like they only do that if you've dropped off the car, I once waited 4 hours IN THE WAITING AREA before one shop even pulled my car in to do an alignment on it, even though I had dropped it off at what appeared to be a slow period of the day. I had to ask them what was going on, and they kept giving me BS answers. Hey, guess what, sometimes that is your customer's ONLY MODE OF TRANSPORTATION AND THEY DON"T HAVE 7 HOURS TO WASTE EATING YOUR SALTY POPCORN AND GETTING NOTHING ELSE DONE!)

So, yeah, no longer a fan of Les Schwab. No warranty is worth the BS and extra money and time I've had to waste on this company.

skeptic

Every chain has it's problems, and Les Schwab seems to have a good reputation. However, the last time I used them was in '88 (IIRC). New brakes on all 4 corners. When they were finished everything was fine, until I'd drive a twisty road at which point they would go out without warning. Brake pedal to the floor. You can imagine the first time this happened.. I took it back a couple times, they checked and said it's fine. As a young college student that looked about 16 they pretty much just blew me off and left me with a car that was unsafe to drive. After the second time they basically told me to stop wasting their time, don't come back for this again. I was already thinking of selling the car so I just traded it in. Looking back, it was probably just some water in the lines, an easy fix, but they lost a customer for life on that one.

SuperBuickGuy

Les Schwab totally depends on the manager - the Les Schwab in Clackamas, Oregon is amazing to deal with. The one, here, in Kirkland (or Redmond for that matter), Washington.... it's about 50% of the time that they provide decent customer service. The favorite issue that raises my blood pressure is some tire monkey making decisions on my cars - for example, they like using their frame lift for lifting trucks to change tires - of course, the transfer case hangs down about an inch on 88-98 chevy trucks.... oh they don't care and "it's fine" even when I tell them, well, it's fine for someone elses truck but not mine.... wtf are you arguing with me? that's just one example of my troubles with them. My truck, my rules - otherwise, my money goes elsewhere. At this moment, Les Schwab does what I tell them because I took 10k in business and gave it to Discount (nothing beats the line "you got ____ tire somewhere else" when you're there on another schwab-warranty issue)...

Discount isn't that great either, while you may get a cheaper price, remember you will knock weights off your wheels - so the $70 you spent "extra" at Schwab may be the best overpayment you've ever done. Discount charges for everything, rotations, balancing....

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Every chain has its bad experiences, but like others above I've had good luck with Discount. I also make a point of supporting them since they are based in Scottsdale. They'll be re-balancing my tires this week under the lifetime balancing they offer.

JPaul

I've just had so many times when I've taken a vehicle to Les Schwab and they tell me "oh yeah, we'll get that done as soon as possible" but fail to tell you that "as soon as possible" means they won't even get it up on the lift for another 3-4 hours, even on slow days.

Because they do this to me even when all I want is a rotation, their "free services" aren't all that helpful. I can rotate my own tires in my driveway with a single jack in less time than it takes them to even get it on the lift. And the sad part is it's not just one of their shops that does this, every one I have gone to so far does this. Unless you show up right when they open, you're going to end up waiting far longer than you should have to.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have bought a lot of tires from 4WheelParts. The only negative thing I can say about them is that their Dallas store cannot mount tires on two piece dual beadlock wheels, which seems very odd to me for a 4x4 offroad oriented store. The twice mounted my tires and they would leak down over about 4 days. I guess they couldn't figure out how to seat the O ring. Coming from Waco it was a real pain in the ass to deal with. Did not take it back after the second time. Their Temecula store did a great job. I think they mounted 4 different sets of Toyos and MTRs on two piece dual beadlock wheels with no problems. Todd there made sure I got taken care of.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Seems like the real lesson is - find a great shop, chain or independent - and enjoy the great service you get from that operator.

SuperBuickGuy

you are correct find a good place, and stick with them... even if they are a bit more expensive - over the long-run it saves money.

4 wheel parts - the Jeep store. I never get grief about my H3 except at 4wheelparts. I'm okay with that, they fully embrace the "overpriced, chinese junk" method of sales which Walmart makes popular.... so it wasn't like I was going to use them anyway. :rant:

Last edited:

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
I use discount tire, yet to have any issues with them.

However the Firestone near me is pretty bad, the only reason I go there is because I have the lifetime alignment. Even then, when I call for an appt at say 11 am, its not ready until about 4 in the afternoon. Luckily for them I have a DD and live basically across the street so its no real big deal, just annoying. I also watched them con this poor lady into a 150 charge for checking a brake light and replacing it, something obscene like that.

I've never used Les Schwab, so I can't say anything about them.

Kurt

RE: 4 Wheel parts, I think one of the guys in the shop is an H1 owner in Temecula.. used to be a psycho I think a long time ago [pre 06/07?]

I had good luck with discount, they freaked when I told them it was an H1, they didn't want to deal with 2 piece wheels, I told them it was a one piece alloy wheel, no run flat, and had no issues.

Last time I had 4 wheel parts in Azusa/San Dimas order me tires with the warranty. They were great, they arranged for after hour pickup at the managers house after I couldn't make it before closing. At that time, I had a few extra sets of wheels so I was able to drop off the rims minus tires and still drive my truck.

It was also the time I decided I never want to bother with 2 piece steel wheels ever again.... :giggle:

Big O tires in Santa Maria jacked the alignment on my truck [was done by the previous owner just before my pickup] They didn't torque the control arm bolts at 300# lbs.

2 week later they all started backing out while driving. Had the truck towed to Tustin and Big-O paid for everything to be fixed [$$$]. It was the time I first met Mike.

Last edited:

2007HummerH2

Discount tire here too! Hard to find a good shop to mount and balance the tires correctly here in Maine. Never had an issue with discount tire......