• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

06 H3's Fabrication Corner.

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
Are you using an abrasive wheel with it? They tend to wander a little. Don't push too hard, and let it cut nice and easy, and it will give you straighter cuts. Also, don't trust the angle marks on the saw. Get an angle finder and set it that way. Those marks on the saws are often not quite right.
 

erdlen65

Well-Known Member
Messages
243
Location
Pittsburgh
A good way to practice keeping your heat down is to take two spare flat pieces of thin gauge metal cut them into 2 in by 4 in sections and drill 6 even spaced holes in one piece. Clamp it together in the corner and try to keep the heat zones ( discoloured marks) from touching each other. That's what they made us do at wyotech. That will help you keep your metal from twisting along with making tack welds instead of welding long continues beads. Keep up the work and don't let it frustrate you! Looking forward to see how the rack turns out keep posting pics.
 
Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Are you using an abrasive wheel with it? They tend to wander a little. Don't push too hard, and let it cut nice and easy, and it will give you straighter cuts. Also, don't trust the angle marks on the saw. Get an angle finder and set it that way. Those marks on the saws are often not quite right.

I currently am using one, before I wasn't so I can swap back and do u have any suggestions on a good angle finder?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

theBroken

Well-Known Member
Messages
143
Location
Michigan
Scarsman thanks for all your advice on this! I had some extra tubing laying around and deciding to replicate your idea. One issue...I didnt replicate it :gaah:

I made sure that each cut was 22.5 degrees and lined em up. They werent straight. DAMNIT! Any suggestions?

2011-12-14_13-30-17_225.jpg

PM or email me your email address. I'll draw this up in CAD for you so you can print it out and trace it onto your tubes. Then you can see where you made a mistake.
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
I currently am using one, before I wasn't so I can swap back and do u have any suggestions on a good angle finder?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I have one of these, and they work pretty good on small stuff like this.

As for your saw, there are two kinds of metal cutting circular saws. Abrasive, and cold cut or dry cut. Abrasive obviously uses abrasive wheels, and cold cut saws use blades with carbide teeth. I would not use cold cut blades in an abrasice saw or a wood chop saw. Cold cut saws use a lower rpm, like 1500 rpm vs 3900 for abrasive or wood. You can ruin an expensive blade really fast!

From that link you posted, it looks like you may have a wood chop saw, which will work with an abrasive blade. It is kind of hard on the saw, but it will work. I would not recommend using a cold cut blade in it though.
 

AbsntMnded

Well-Known Member
Messages
132
Location
Pennsylvania
Welded on my front Hunner skids today. First welding project for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how your rack turns out, especially now that I can appreciate a nice weld.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
thanks scarsman. I will continue to use the abrasive blade but will consider upgrading to a better saw as the time goes by. I also didnt see a pic in the post in terms of an angle finder. It sounded like you meant to have one there...

Brodie was nice enough to do a CAD drawing for me. I just have to get it to 11x17 for it to be the right scale and then I can continue on the project.


Absntmnded- Follow this thread and you will see pics :) Glad you got into welding, its a great thing to be able to do
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
An update! Last night I went to home depot and bought some tools to help with measurements and all that good stuff...I bought an angle finder and realized my corner piece was accurate...one of the ends weren't. good thing I practiced on scrap! I need to make 3 more corners for the bottom base and then im good to go.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
need more metal...so no major progress worth taking pictures of...I will probably pick some up tomorrow or tuesday and continue
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Thanks, I still have a far way to go before im satisfied with my work...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
I brought the pieces inside the house for one more picture of the mock up before I start to make the real pieces...How does it look? Nice and straight??? lol

I am going to get more metal around 2...going to play some basketball right now:)

2011-12-27_09-55-43_140.jpg
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
the length pieces are cut and finished! I used the angle finder and they ended up being a tad over 22.5 degrees but can be redone seeing I have some extra length on the ends that I will cut off at the ends anyways. Seeing its no more then a degree I may be able to fill in the area when I weld...not sure what I will do yet. The corner pieces are cut and done and they are perfect. I have 5 made (one extra so I can duplicate for the top later) I have to make some pieces for top and bottom so I used samples temporarily for the picture....whatcha think? open to any type of advice, tips, and critiquing.

2011-12-27_19-24-45_565.jpg


2011-12-27_19-26-39_559.jpg


2011-12-27_19-27-14_548.jpg
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
Looking good! Don't worry about them being off one degree. Just make sure the whole corner is square, and tack them together inside and out, and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
Do you weld with one shoe off so you can grip the metal better? That sounds like Arky enginuity stead of CA?
 
Top