• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

April 2023 Black Sheep Week - Sand Hollow UT

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, it's time, maybe overdue, for a change. 2023 will take us to Sand Hollow State Park in Hurricane, UT (pronounced "Her-ah-kun") in the SW corner of UT next to St. George. Lots of great trails, a reservoir for water sports and affordable lodging for the week.

Dates: Sunday, April 9, 2023 to Saturday, April 15, 2023
Typically the last day of wheeling is Friday, with the last people departing on Saturday.
Park trails and overview: https://caltopo.com/m/63T1, https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/sand-hollow/, https://www.winter4x4jamboree.com/Trails-Home.cfm
More trail info: https://winter4x4jamboree.com/Trails-Home.cfm

I've already booked an AirBnB in this area: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.1354142,-113.3722021,15.29z?hl=en

GMRS will be again the radio standard. We will start on Channel 17 and see how that works for us

Tentative Schedule
this may change a bit
  • Sunday: Backdoor to Babylon & Toquerville Falls. No flag required.
  • Monday: West Rim Trail. Washington Dam entrance. Flag required.
  • Tuesday: Razzle Dazzle. Tunnel entrance. Flaq required.
  • Wednesday: Scavenger Hunt. Download the Scavify app and search for 2023 Black Sheep (don't do this yet). Bring a couple rounds of range ammo. BBQ dinner, catered at the Outpost at 6:30 pm
  • Thursday: TBD.
  • Friday: Michael’s Trail. Meet at Walmart. No flag required
As of the draft schedule above, only 2 days are in the park and the others are in the nearby area. In the park requires a $20 fee and the use of a dune safety flag.

For trail ratings in the park, we will be focusing on 4s and 5s for stock H3s. 6s start to get tough (straps may be needed), 7s get rough.

Area GPS files

Fees, please: if I can get assistance at $60 per adult, that will cover the cost of the Scavenger Hunt app, the BBQ dinner and some of other setup expenses for this event.

Attendee List

Best guess and confirmed is below. I will start cleaning up as we get confirmations.

Count# in PartyAttendeesK9VehicleLodgingConfirmed?Arrival/Departure DatesState
12Alrock1H3AirBnBYSat-SatAZ
22Reloader & Jeri1LandCruiserAirBnBYSat-SatAZ
31JasonJKAirBnBYSat-SatAZ
45JPaulH3AUT
52Rascole1H3-SASAirBnBYCA
61EndeavoredH3H3CondoYSat-SatAZ
71jakesz28H3YMO
83MuDnYrIH2NV
91BradZJAirBnBYMon-SatAZ
101GeoffJKAirBnBYMon-SatCO
111vDawgH3-SASCampingYCA
123Tsar TrailH3ACampingYCO
131KurtH1NCA

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
I have so many great things to say about Sand Hollow. I have been twice and it’s been a positive experience. It’s a growing OHV area and I’m sure 5-6 more trails will be added between now and next year.

I feel Sand Hollow locals are very welcoming to wheelers and they appreciate the business we bring to their town.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Count me in. Chris I am somewhat pissed that you guys did Pritchett without me. Well ok, I am already over it. I know we tried several years and for various reasons were unable to run the trail. ( I know one year the creek was running about 10' deep in the canyon. )

MilamJR

Sounds fun but with a 27 hour drive probably not going to happen unless I can find a way to spend a week in Las Vegas the week before and after.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Sounds fun but with a 27 hour drive probably not going to happen unless I can find a way to spend a week in Las Vegas the week before and after.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
Understandable! We might shoot for Colorado in summer '24

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Sounds good. Count me in. Would it be effected by EJS dates?
We're going to go the same week we normally do, i.e. starting on Easter Sunday. If anything, it may be quieter in Sand Hollow as all of those Jeepers aren't likely to be wheeling two weeks in a row.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Count me in. Chris I am somewhat pissed that you guys did Pritchett without me. Well ok, I am already over it. I know we tried several years and for various reasons were unable to run the trail. ( I know one year the creek was running about 10' deep in the canyon. )

Sorry Dave!!! We will do it again. It may be a couple years till Moab but we will do it again.

EndeavoredH3

We still need to get an IFS (lift/non lift) H3 through Pritchett. We are not done with this trail yet, it was nice to see it.

jakesz28

Put us down. Hopefully work won't get in the way next year. With covid taking away half of my work I could not pass up that job this year. Plus it will definitely fund a couple trips.

We were going to do Moab and possibly stay long and go to Sand Hallow, this year. We are still going to try heading that way this year.

JPaul

We still need to get an IFS (lift/non lift) H3 through Pritchett. We are not done with this trail yet, it was nice to see it.

If I know ahead of time to bring my in-laws truck and my neighbors car hauler with me I'll let you drag mine through. I just want to avoid body damage, but a snapped axle or two is no big deal.

Kurt

Pencil me in for now. I got no problems making Hurricane, UT since I'll be based out of Socal at that point, I may not be there for the whole week :)

jakesz28

My ZR2 will be on 37's soon and I would try getting it through Pritchet. I may have to pull line, if needed. Just saw a video of a Toca TRD on 35's going through Pritchett.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
My ZR2 will be on 37's soon and I would try getting it through Pritchet. I may have to pull line, if needed. Just saw a video of a Toca TRD on 35's going through Pritchett.
Nice! Fair warning, it's like a 1.5 hour drive home afterwards lol everybody always leaves out the long a** drive on mild trails home lol

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk