• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

April 2023 Black Sheep Week - Sand Hollow UT

LagunaH1

Given recent events, I might actually be able to swing a few days with you guys after all. Stay tuned, I'll get logistics figured out this week. If I am able to make this happen, it will be for no more than 2 days of wheeling as things look right now, but that's still better than no days of wheeling

JPaul

Given recent events, I might actually be able to swing a few days with you guys after all. Stay tuned, I'll get logistics figured out this week. If I am able to make this happen, it will be for no more than 2 days of wheeling as things look right now, but that's still better than no days of wheeling
You can crash with Rascole and I for the nights you're able to make it.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Updated the first post with this info:

Tentative Schedule this may change a bit
  • Sunday: Backdoor to Babylon & Toquerville Falls. No flag required.
  • Monday: West Rim Trail. Washington Dam entrance. Flag required.
  • Tuesday: Razzle Dazzle. Tunnel entrance. Flaq required.
  • Wednesday: Scavenger Hunt. Download the Scavify app and search for 2023 Black Sheep (don't do this yet). Bring a couple rounds of range ammo. BBQ dinner, catered at the Outpost at 6:30 pm
  • Thursday: TBD.
  • Friday: Michael’s Trail. Meet at Walmart. No flag required
As of the draft schedule above, only 2 days are in the park and the others are in the nearby area. In the park requires a $20 fee and the use of a dune safety flag.

For trail ratings in the park, we will be focusing on 4s and 5s for stock H3s. 6s start to get tough (straps may be needed), 7s get rough.

Fees, please: if I can get assistance at $60 per adult, that will cover the cost of the Scavenger Hunt app, the BBQ dinner and some of other setup expenses for this event.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
A bit more about the Wednesday Scavenger Hunt. It's an opportunity to get out of Hurricane and explore some of southwest Utah, including Zion National Park. The hunt will include places both famous and less so, from the common to the unusual. I figured this was a good chance to see the area, just as newcomers to Moab want to see Arches and other sights. Recommended to have teams of 2 in each vehicle, but that's of course not a requirement.

I'll also have printed materials for everyone for some of the trail descriptions, location of the Outpost, our preliminary daily agenda, and other key information to help you during the week.

jakesz28

We might be headed out on the 26th of March. May have 3 or 4 weeks out there. Who all is camping? We are bringing our 5x9 offroad camper to set up a base camp somewhere.

Attachments

• 20230301_172437.jpg
    20230301_172437.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 73

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I’m thinking maybe the first four days but just the dog and me. Any pet restrictions in the parks?
"Pets are permitted in outdoor areas but must be kept on a maximum 6-foot leash. "

We'd love to see you! You live so far away we're never able to get together. :)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
2 weeks to go! Are you ready?

For the trip, you may want to bring a couple of rounds of plinking ammo as on Wednesday we'll be going by a BLM outdoor gun range. Don't forget to get a dune flag (and mount). Test your GMRS radio. Charge your PowerTank as we may air up daily.

I'll be reaching out as we get close to invite you to a WhatsApp group (like we did last year) for easy daily communication. You should have received a PM from me with the booklet for the week. If you didn't, please let me know and I can email it to you. Printed copies will be provided.

jakesz28

I am working on the last few items on the camper. Will be loading up tomorrow and hopefully leaving Friday. First stop in New Mexico. May spend a week there on trails before finishing the trip to Sand Hallow.
If I am energetic tomorrow I will mount the new BFG KM3's. If not hopefully these Milestars have another good trip on them. Colorado was rough on a couple of them.

jakesz28

Can't wait to see all of you. We did get a head start. Currently at Ute Lake state park New Mexico.

Attachments

• 20230331_193158.jpg
    20230331_193158.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 67