DJinCO
Well-Known Member
- Messages
- 1,565
Today being Armed Forces Day, I decided that I would spend a good portion of the morning thinking about the past.
I have always agreed that the WWII veteran contributed a significant payment toward the development of the USA and even the world. Today I was reminded of the contribution of the Vietnam Veteran.
Vietnam, for the most part, I remember Vietnam from Walter Cronkite. I remember the body counts. I remember LBJ, SECDEF McNamara, Gen Westmoreland speaking about why the US was fighting in SE Asia.
What clearly is different between WWII and Vietnam is the "why we are there" and the public perception of the war.
-----
I'll stop but I think we know where I am headed.
I spent 24 years in the Navy. A bunch of ships; so many cruises that I refuse to ever pay money to go on a cruise to the "islands."
My time in the military was relatively quiet. We out spent the Soviets, so we won. Ronald Regan scared the crap out of the Iranians, so they released the Hostages. People accepted the military but didn't really know what we did, or if the did, they really didn't seem to care one way or the other.
It was a stable time to be in the military.
-------------
Thank you to all service members, all veterans.
Thank you to everyone who appreciates the sacrifices of the service members.
It is a pleasant change for people to say "thank you" to the veterans.
Today we are involved a very different battle. This isn't your "fathers" war. (Grandfather, great-grandfather)
:am6:
:am1: Thank you to all veterans and service members, past, present and future!
I have always agreed that the WWII veteran contributed a significant payment toward the development of the USA and even the world. Today I was reminded of the contribution of the Vietnam Veteran.
Vietnam, for the most part, I remember Vietnam from Walter Cronkite. I remember the body counts. I remember LBJ, SECDEF McNamara, Gen Westmoreland speaking about why the US was fighting in SE Asia.
What clearly is different between WWII and Vietnam is the "why we are there" and the public perception of the war.
-----
I'll stop but I think we know where I am headed.
I spent 24 years in the Navy. A bunch of ships; so many cruises that I refuse to ever pay money to go on a cruise to the "islands."
My time in the military was relatively quiet. We out spent the Soviets, so we won. Ronald Regan scared the crap out of the Iranians, so they released the Hostages. People accepted the military but didn't really know what we did, or if the did, they really didn't seem to care one way or the other.
It was a stable time to be in the military.
-------------
Thank you to all service members, all veterans.
Thank you to everyone who appreciates the sacrifices of the service members.
It is a pleasant change for people to say "thank you" to the veterans.
Today we are involved a very different battle. This isn't your "fathers" war. (Grandfather, great-grandfather)
:am6:
:am1: Thank you to all veterans and service members, past, present and future!