• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Joint CA, AZ & NV Trail Run 11/3/12 - Sleeping Princess

poncho1965

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,263
Location
Ridgecrest, California
My fav spots: the steep rocky climb into the sun where I couldn't see anything, good thing we did it on the pre run. NP just follow BigBadT's line, seeing is over rated anyway. The not very friendly hummer rock, Dwaine thanks again for the expert spotting! No damage but beat on the UCP a lot thought I was tearing the guts out, ok I might give in and go to 35's. the rock garden after hummer rock, kept hanging up on the shock mounts. Next mods: Schwarttzy shock mounts, PCF scorpion diff crossmember, CB install. 35's when the 33's are toast. Now to get back home and view the pictures!
 

Fish

Well-Known Member
Messages
871
Location
San Diego, CA
For you Fish, I'll move the Sleeping Princess trail into Arizona .

Thanks smart ass....

Guess I didn't look hard enough, just figured since everybody was staying in NV that's where the trail was. Sounds like staying in Laughlin would of been xtra miles for me...
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
Seeing you we're pushed out of your comfort zone did Ellen walk the trail or hang at the hotel? Haha

She rode in the T with me on a couple of the steeper climbs. The longer wheelbase and automatic made for a calmer passenger.

Thanks smart ass....

Guess I didn't look hard enough, just figured since everybody was staying in NV that's where the trail was. Sounds like staying in Laughlin would of been xtra miles for me...

Guilty as charged! Just look at my signature.

It turns out the distance from Laughlin and Bullhead City is about the same at ~9 miles. We looked at hotels in Bullhead City but they only had 2 stars but in Laughlin you can get 3 star for the same price and in most cases lower.
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
She rode in the T with me on a couple of the steeper climbs. The longer wheelbase and automatic made for a calmer passenger.



Guilty as charged! Just look at my signature.

It turns out the distance from Laughlin and Bullhead City is about the same at ~9 miles. We looked at hotels in Bullhead City but they only had 2 stars but in Laughlin you can get 3 star for the same price and in most cases lower.

Not to mention we were actually able to drink in the parking lot in NV. CHEERS
 

bigbadt

Well-Known Member
Messages
139
Location
Socal
I wanna thank everyone at the sleeping princess adventure for making this 1st run with the new group fun and memorable ! Mike for making the arrangements and the planning, Zack for being my guinea pig and leading me to safety, Alex for the leadership and Dwayne and scorpion for tugging me off those boulders. To all the new friends I made and future forum runs, BigbadT, The wife, Marty Ballbag, Wanna say Thanks for putting up with us. And Mike and Debbie thanks for the company !
 

poncho1965

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,263
Location
Ridgecrest, California
I'll echo BigBadT's sentiments. As noobs we were made to feel welcomed to the group and had such a fantastic time! I don't think I realized what my 3 was capable of with an experienced group! Many thanks to our new Hummer family! Debbie and I will be back for more :)
 

PreferredChassisFab

Yosemite Sam
Messages
168
Location
Tucson, AZ
Thanks to the H4O group, Mykyl (my Grandson) and I had a great time. My Chevy tow rig didn't have such a "fun time" on the way home though. Outside of Wikieup it "layed down" and it was all done except for the crying. So I did some load rearranging- Unloaded the Scorpion, switched the Scorpion Hauler trailer to Luis's H3T, Pulled the Chevy's driveline and hooked the truck to the back of the Scorpion. About that time Alex drove up so he would take the lead, the Scorpion towing the Chevy in the middle and Luis following up in the rear. The Scorpion being the "horse" that it is, pulled that loaded 3500HD up and down those hills at 50 to 60 mph for 57 miles to Wickenburg. We had the Chevy put on a roll back, thanks to Luis's AAA, had an early dinner in Wickenburg, and roaded the Scorpion 183 miles into Tucson, home at 8:41 and the truck was sitting in the driveway. Thanks to Luis, Mark and Alex for their help and support. And I have to mention Mykyl, my 17 year old Grandson, did a PHENOMENAL job driving the Scorpion, yanking that heavy Chevy down the road, the whole time worried that he couldn't let his PaPa down. Im proud of him!

Well I guess all is well if everyone gets home safe and all the assets get home in one piece. But it was an interesting way to spend your birthday.......
 
Last edited:

cbetts

NERD!!!
Messages
3,188
Location
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Just got home. There was a brush fire on the 15 around Cleghorn which closed the freeway and forced us to divert through Palmdale. Passed Sircode on the way and chatted for a while on the CB.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
 

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
Dwaine, I'm so glad to hear you had a good time. It looked to me like you were doing most of the spotting and rock stacking. Next time we need to help more. Thanks a lot for the assistance, I really appreciated it.

Sorry to hear your birthday didn't turn out so good. Anyway happy birthday and I hope you can make the next Sleeping Princess trail run.

Those of us that made the trip were all thinking we wanted to do it again next year, but for those who didn't make Sleeping Princess 2012 (SP12) maybe we should move SP13 up into the spring? The optimum time to visit the SP is November and February or early March. Maybe 2/15-17 or 3/1-3?
 

Sircode13

Well-Known Member
Messages
547
Location
Laguna Hills
Just got home. There was a brush fire on the 15 around Cleghorn which closed the freeway and forced us to divert through Palmdale. Passed Sircode on the way and chatted for a while on the CB.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

We got home about 2 hours ago. A long drive through the Lucerne Valley, through Big Bear and down to Moreno Valley, but at least beat everyone with the same idea of taking that route around the fire. I saw that the freeway was closed, but thanks for the heads up on why! Should of had the radio on earlier, but the nephew wanted to listen to his CD. When you drove by it was a reason to turn his crap, I mean rap off lol. I still wish I could have made the run though. However I need to talk to Mike at Tustin, cause the Hummer was running hotter then what it used to before Tustin serviced it before I left for the trail.
:banghead:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
 
Last edited:

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
I'm curious, is the optimum time around those dates due to the heat?

Yes. This is now one of my favorite trails...no joke!

Yes, as Luis said, it is the temperature. The average monthly high in October is 88 and November is 74. I figured November was best, but I didn't want to get too close to Thanksgiving for a trip out of town. The average high in December is 63 and January is 65 so that’s a Princess is tad chilly but manageable. February's average high is 70 and March is 77, so late February early March should be best. After March the average highs are 86 in April, 96 in May, 105 in June, 111 in July, 108 in August and 102 in September.

I agree with Luis, Sleeping Princess is my new favorite trail, except for one obstacle in the middle. Although Luis had a simple solution to that.
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
I didn't mind the section where I was a teeter totter. My pucker of the day was the off camber section where my right rear tire didn't want to stay on the trail. It was a very fun trail
 

bigbadt

Well-Known Member
Messages
139
Location
Socal
I didn't mind the section where I was a teeter totter. My pucker of the day was the off camber section where my right rear tire didn't want to stay on the trail. It was a very fun trail

I have to agree with you Zack, I was puckering for you to there. lol
 
Top