• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My New 2012 Jeep JK Orange Crush Rubicon

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
Messages
1,506
Location
Silverado
No, but I never did say that was the spot. This spot is not even really near the spot where it got sketchy. I didnt take the picture because I was driving and my Dad was spotting me.

Edit: Also I should add that here in the Dakotas it can get very windy and this current day was quite windy indeed to the South-Southeast direction, and this picture was taken North-Northwest

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." :poke:
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Let me know what JK forum you join...those guys can be real pricks.

I am soo excited to see the comparison in the JK and hummer. There both great vehicles for multiple yet different reasons.

I just wish the H3 had the simple easy option to build a 3 like a buggy just like the JK guys do...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

Timgco

Hugh Hefner
Messages
765
Location
Colorado
congrats on the new rig! You'll have some fun with it for sure! As you found out, wheeling that JK over the the Hummers is quite different. the added front flex gives you a diferent feel.


A couple things to add to your build:
The EVO oil skid, exhaust loop, trans line skid package will protect the vulnerable equip. up front. With the new 2012 design, adding a lift and flexing out all the way will take out your front driveshaft boot on the Auto's. The AFE y pipe is the solution. Cheap/ easy fix. skip the Terra exhaust spacers. I put the AFE in and it gave me all the clearance I needed there.

Some things I learned with that 2.5" terra lift.

add front lower control arms!!! your ride will suffer with tracking/ wondering without them. They are cheap enough and will make a HUGE difference. It took me a couple months before I did this. wish I would have done it off the bat.
add some track width to that rig. either 1.5" Spydertracks spacers or 4.5" offset wheels. Your lateral stability will improve quite a bit off road in those off camber situations and cornering on road.

i also ran Terra's HD front trackbar. that stiffened up the front end a little and was also a welcomed mod.

Have fun with the new ride!
 

Hunner

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Arkansas
There is only one place on the GM H3 that can be linked directly to the Hummer, that I am aware of and that is just the name.
DAH_3638.jpg

I'm not aware of any other design component used on a Humvee or H1 civilian model used on the GMH3. Maybe if that had been left off and named "Trailblazer" (they used that already) or "GMOffroad" the stigma of the brand escalated by those uninformed that keep using that as fodder to knock it, at this level, would not have killed it off? Even after it became more popular as an SUV with all the trim packages it apparently was not enough to keep the numbers up.
While the namesake at the time seemed great for marketing the outcome has not been favorable.

I grew up driving three different Jeep vehicles and don't have any thing against the brand. However I do enjoy a good bit of sport on a lighter level with friends with them that wheel with me. I'm usually on the receiving end but I'm usually right behind them on the trails.
May have to end up with one, in later years even using crossover parts or custom made ones. I looked into Jeep but more like a Commander style. I talked with the guys from Superlift at Superlift when they were there in the big truck for a special weekend back in 06. They were prototyping a suspension then. It just had a way to go to compare to the H3 right off the showroom floor. Mostly for me the wheel/fender clearance with out having to break out the sawzall. They were at one time interested in the H3 market and we wheeled the two together on several occasions.
5x2422.jpg

5x2437.jpg

I have a saved copy now of a build on a Grand Cherokee that is laying around here I read over from time to time. FourWheeler August 11. But for now I love my GMH3 despite GM bailing on us.
When I was ready for something extra to drive and to get back into wheeling the H3 just appealed to me and my needs and intended uses.
I am curious what that vehicle mentioned here in this thread will cost with all those desired added features. I know it will vary depending on the build but a general idea would be interesting.
I know at one point a couple of other people moved into the Jeep from an H2 and put just about every aftermarket component available on it and there were some large numbers thrown around.
I have not followed all that too much but on a build like this an idea of what it will cost would be interesting.
So thanks for posting your opinions as you go forward on this build. You have the ability to compare it to Hummer.
 
Last edited:

DJinCO

Well-Known Member
I just want a vehicle to get me up into the areas where most people don't go, and back home. It needs plenty of creature comforts and space for the dogs and stuff*.

* Stuff = camera equipment, fishing poles, tackle box, coleman folding chairs, cooler (lunch), tool kit, change of clothes, water, anything else I think I might need.
 

HUMMER INVESTMENTS

[o O IIIIIIII O o]
Messages
3,518
Location
Black Hawk, SD
I just want a vehicle to get me up into the areas where most people don't go, and back home. It needs plenty of creature comforts and space for the dogs and stuff*.

* Stuff = camera equipment, fishing poles, tackle box, coleman folding chairs, cooler (lunch), tool kit, change of clothes, water, anything else I think I might need.

Wich the H3 is full of! One of the reasons I like it a little more
 

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Congrats on the buy, the one thing that i wish h3s had was the removable roof! Def would be nice in the summer!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
 

VegasH3

Member
Messages
8
Location
Las Vegas
Congrats on the JK. I also have both a H3 adv and JK rubi. My rubi is a 2 dr, so there are a lot of differences based just on the wheel base. I still wheel both. My h3 has the F/R lockers and I put 35's on it. My Jk rubi has a lift and 37s. The solid front axle gives it a very differnet feel. The H3 is superior offroad for anything over 10 mph. The IFS and steering is much better at any significant speed. The solid axle is better for rock crawing and unlevel terrain. One thing I noticed is with the JK and the solid axle, I don't have the same feel for the road. There have been times when I think I am a few inches to the right of where I am at. In reality I am driving over a 2 foot boulder or angling up the side of a rocky ledge, but I can't tell because the solid axle flex makes the whole vehicle feel totally level. So with the JK I feel like I need a spotter or to get out and assess the terrain and my position more often. That said, the JK (albeit more modified) will go over obstaces that I have to winch over with the h3. Some of this has to do with the shorter wheel base, and some has to do with the solid axles. The other thing I noticed is in off camber situation the H3 feel MUCH more stable. One obstacle that I have done 10 times with my H3 without much stress, is down right scarry with my JK. It's simply a spot in the trail that is off camber and creates some side lean in the H3 and extreme lean in the JK (to the point I feel I might flop).

Overall they are about the same out of the box. It's much easier and cheaper to modify the JK though due to after market support. Putting 37s on the Jk was simple. Beefed up the D44 a little and i was ok. Now i want 37s on my H3, this is going to be more tricky.
 

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Messages
10,529
Location
Central Texas
Have done the Jeep thing and like them, just like Hummers more. From my perspective the bone stock Rubi doesn't do any better and maybe not as well as the H3 Adv. Adding the lift, 35" tires and you have a different story. Totally different rides.
 
Top