• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Need filter advise

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
Ok I'm getting ready to put my order in for my air doc. But at a loss for witch filter to get. Oiled our non oiled.
I have a 2005 H2. For those of you that have a H2 please let me know which one you have and if your happy with it. I prefer to order from amazon so if you have a part number that would be great. Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy 4S
 

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
Thanks but really trying to keep the stock air filter box. Just really need a high flow filter. I was liking at the airraid but don't know if those are good

Sent from my Galaxy 4S
 

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Messages
10,673
Location
Scottsdale
I'm not a fan of the oiled filters - I believe they don't filter as well as dry filters and you have the deal with the possibility of overoiling and getting oil on the MAF.
 

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Messages
1,997
Location
In hiding.....
I'm not a fan of the oiled filters - I believe they don't filter as well as dry filters and you have the deal with the possibility of overoiling and getting oil on the MAF.

Correct. This was studied by GM, and I assume the other large manufactures and their conclusion was oil filter allowed more dirt to enter. Not counting the problem over oiling can cause to the MAF/IAT sensor.

This guy over on one of the truck forums did a good test on various filters and his results paralleled GM's. Since I no longer have the GM results, I'll give a link to this test....
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/air-filter-study.html
 

DJinCO

Well-Known Member
I agree 100% with Doug (F5moab). The Purolator paper has some advantages if changed regularly. It's not really that hard. For the folks who love to go into deep water and play in the mud, I would be very careful when changing the air intake system.

Water in the intake causes some real compression issues.

This is one area where I apply one of my favorite sayings: "Don't wrestle with a pig in the mud; you both get dirty and the pig likes it."
 

LoJac963

Well-Known Member
Messages
491
Location
Surprise, AZ
Running a Volant myself with the oiled Volant filter. I've used K&N and oiled filters on every vehicle I have owned from high performance to compact beater cars. Reusable to save money and I have never seen dirt built up past the filter through the intake system from the tubes to the upper manifold runners. The GTO crowd would say the same thing......MAF this MAF that with oiled filters. I have yet to see or know anyone having MAF or IAT sensor issues with an oiled filter. If you reoil them correctly there isn't any issues.
volant.jpg
I also run a Volant pre-filter.
 

Kyle

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,707
Location
Santa Clarita, CA
if you want a high flow filter go with AFE i have one of there drop in filters for my 3 and i love it! the best part is, you can shake the dust out and gain up to 80% of the flow back!
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
I'm no expert, but I think the air filter is one thing GM did a fine job on. A couple years ago I came across this test done by a guy on a GM diesel forum. It was very thorough, and pretty conclusive. Many of the aftermarket filters had an initial higher flow rate than the AC Delco, but quickly lost flow as they got dirty, and let a LOT of dirt through. Bottom line is the OEM AC Delco could ingest and hold more dirt and still flow more air over a much longer period of time than anything else tested. Personally, I believe the stock filter can flow more air than our engines can pull, so there is no point in having a filter that flows more but doesn't filter as well. Here is a link to the test:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Take the time to read the whole thing. It is quite interesting and a good read.
 

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
Ok in this case I'll keep the same filter but will order the air doc. I though I need a high flow filter for the air doc

Sent from my Galaxy 4S
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
I can't say for sure, but I think the air doc just replaces the big plastic maze between the air box and throttle body, so what filter is in the air box shouldn't matter. I'm sure someone will chime in on that. I do want to get the air doc too sometime to get rid of the huge plastic thing.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2
 

Scarsman

Sponsor
Messages
1,561
Location
Monroe, WA
I would guess there would be a little more noise under hard acceleration/high rpm. I've been told the reason for all the extra arms and tunnels on the stock intake is to act as a resonator to reduce noise.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 2
 

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
Well I emailed airdoc to get their phone number to put my order in. So far no reply. Any one have their number? One I have it I'll report back with noise issues. If it's anything like like my old Integra with an AEM cold air intake it's loud at high rpm. But I love hearing the sound. Especially when you cut the engine of and you hear the vacuum sound

Sent from my Galaxy 4S
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
Well I emailed airdoc to get their phone number to put my order in. So far no reply. Any one have their number? One I have it I'll report back with noise issues. If it's anything like like my old Integra with an AEM cold air intake it's loud at high rpm. But I love hearing the sound. Especially when you cut the engine of and you hear the vacuum sound

Sent from my Galaxy 4S

I believe I ordered mine off of their site. Had it in less than a week. It is considerably louder. Isn't that what they made radios for?
 

Doc Olds

Well-Known Member
Messages
165
Location
Boat Town MI
AFE Pro-Dry S for the H2, out flows that stock Donaldson type paper crap by almost 35%, is dry and washable synthetic, no oil. AFE#11-10088

afe_11-10088.jpg

The Airaid works just as well, but it has oil. I have used K&Ns on everything (Mom's car even has one) never had an issue because I know how to re-oil after cleaning. More is not always betterer. :giggle:

The plastic OEM resonator chambered intake does keep things quite for soccer moms, but it also robs power.
 

High Five H2

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,627
Location
West Texas
i think the solution for a loud intake is louder exhaust... at least that what I remember my haynes manual saying. i could be wrong.
 

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
Well I order mine yesterday. Should have it in a week. Thanks for the AFE part number. I'll look into that one.
Zach yup my radio drowns out my exhaust all the time

Sent from my Galaxy 4S
 

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Messages
1,545
Location
El Centro, Mehico (Way So Cal)
Once I have it I'll report back with noise issues. If it's anything like like my old Integra with an AEM cold air intake it's loud at high rpm. But I love hearing the sound. Especially when you cut the engine of and you hear the vacuum sound
It is considerably louder. Isn't that what they made radios for?
The plastic OEM resonator chambered intake does keep things quite for soccer moms, but it also robs power.
i think the solution for a loud intake is louder exhaust... at least that what I remember my haynes manual saying. i could be wrong.

These are all great thoughts, and I don't normally have issues with engines making louder noises----BUUUUTTTTT, as I discovered after pulling the resonator out of the H3, there really is too much of a good thing. When I hooked that sucker up to a trailer and towed thru the mountains, all that beautiful extra wonderful sound translated into drone!
Towing thru the mountains while your engine is droning just blows monkey balls. So adding louder exhaust and louder intake noise is not always ideal.
Given that our deuce has spent/spends the majority of it's life towing the travel trailer, drone on the highway is not welcome.

BTW---I didn't know Doc Olds was on here! Holy smokes, I don't know whether to be honored or scared that I've been writing nasty things about you over here!:wink:
 
Last edited:

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
Well I got the air doc. I installed it this morning all I can say is wow!!! Zero to 80 is much faster. Throttle response is a more sensitive. When I floor it rPM goes to 5k RPM is that normal? But I can hear and feel the xtra power. For exhaust I have flowmaster American thunder kit made for the H2

Sent from my Galaxy 4S
 

MessiaH2

Well-Known Member
Messages
254
Location
Indian Mills, New Jersey
AFE Pro-Dry S for the H2, out flows that stock Donaldson type paper crap by almost 35%, is dry and washable synthetic, no oil. AFE#11-10088

View attachment 12168

Savethereef,

Is this the one you went with?
What else do you have to replace to make it fit or is this a true upgraded replacement?
Cost?

I also have flowmaster exhaust but have done NOTHING else under the hood. I have been reading into more air. Please tell me more of what you think after you drive it a week.
 

Savethereef

Well-Known Member
Messages
179
Location
Long beach ca
I have not replaced the filter yet. I decided to drive it for a month first with stock filter. I took my 1st long drive. Since I put the air doc. About 120 miles each way. My mpg has increased to 14.9 to 15.1. Before the airdoc I was getting around 10.5 to 11.0 mpg same route. This is with roof rack and spare tire on roof. I might just keep this filter. I'll see my next drive to Vegas how it handles.

Sent from my Galaxy 4S
 
Top