• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Performance Mods?

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
This is about similar to my gas mileage I haven't have a tune tho for the 35's so it might a little better for a couple miles but not too much and I usually cruise at 30-35 in city.


Sent From Someone Else's iPhone 'Cause I'm Too Broke To Own One.

Its speed up to 45 here, slow down to a stop. Then repeat the process.
 

Panzer07

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,548
Location
Ontario, CA
Its speed up to 45 here, slow down to a stop. Then repeat the process.

Is about the same on some street over here but because of the whole stops and lights is the reason why I cruise at 30-35, also I drive on the right side lane so if the traffic behind me wants to go faster they can always use the left lane....ain't about to stress my engine nor wear out my breaks just because of others.


Sent From Someone Else's iPhone 'Cause I'm Too Broke To Own One.
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
I did a comparision today. I was at 90 miles with the gas gauge in the same spot. That's in my Alpha with an ARB bumper, winch, leveled, Gobi Stealth Rack, Ladder, and 295/75R16's. I was driving from 45-75MPH. No tune, no CAI, just moved the muffler to the resonator position, and I had the HVAC on the entire time.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
I did a comparision today. I was at 90 miles with the gas gauge in the same spot. That's in my Alpha with an ARB bumper, winch, leveled, Gobi Stealth Rack, Ladder, and 295/75R16's. I was driving from 45-75MPH. No tune, no CAI, just moved the muffler to the resonator position, and I had the HVAC on the entire time.

i've just had problems with both of my hummers. I always seem to get less than other people. But mine is city stop and go traffic not 45-75. Its more like 25-55 but mostly 25,40, and 45.
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
It was stop n go for me today with decent hills in between. 35MPH school zone was my slowest, with 75MPH being my normal speed.

Have u changed your plugs & wires yet? My OEM plugs looked darn good for 109K on them, but my wires were showing their age. I replaced the wires with the 50.00 ones from Oreilly's and I used Autolite Iridium XP Plugs (they didn't have AC Delco or NGK), and at the same time I cleaned the throttle body, and MAF. She runs great and I got 13-14.5MPG on my trip to Orlando, FL last fall fully loaded down with gear and 4 adults. My Alpha's now pushing 123K and is running as good as a new SUV!!
 
Last edited:

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
It was stop n go for me today with decent hills in between. 35MPH school zone was my slowest, with 75MPH being my normal speed.

Have u changed your plugs & wires yet? My OEM plugs looked darn good for 109K on them, but my wires were showing their age. I replaced the wires with the 50.00 ones from Oreilly's and I used Autolite Iridium XP Plugs (they didn't have AC Delco or NGK), and at the same time I cleaned the throttle body, and MAF. She runs great and I got 13-14.5MPG on my trip to Orlando, FL last fall fully loaded down with gear and 4 adults. My Alpha's now pushing 123K and is running as good as a new SUV!!

I'm thinking that I must have a bad thermo, or my speedo is off. I know its good up to 30mph, and i haven't changed my plugs or wires. I've been more focused on getting everything painted and getting my lift together. Performance is going to be a huge priority after i get the lift installed. If i'm getting 8-10mpg now I don't want to know what it's going to be with a lift. My temp gauge has been above 3/4 all week though, and I noticed when it gets up there the acceleration is TERRIBLE, when it goes down to 1/2 everything is perfect.
 

Zach

Mall Crawler
Messages
4,812
Location
So Cal
I'm thinking that I must have a bad thermo, or my speedo is off. I know its good up to 30mph, and i haven't changed my plugs or wires. I've been more focused on getting everything painted and getting my lift together. Performance is going to be a huge priority after i get the lift installed. If i'm getting 8-10mpg now I don't want to know what it's going to be with a lift. My temp gauge has been above 3/4 all week though, and I noticed when it gets up there the acceleration is TERRIBLE, when it goes down to 1/2 everything is perfect.

Honestly, you can't go off of the DIC display, unless you reset it after every fill up. It's more accurate if you reset it every fill up. The dead on calculation is when you fill the tank up. Divide miles by gallons filled.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
Honestly, you can't go off of the DIC display, unless you reset it after every fill up. It's more accurate if you reset it every fill up. The dead on calculation is when you fill the tank up. Divide miles by gallons filled.

I do that, my last tank I got 11.2. I'm getting gas tomorrow i'll see the mpg.
 

Best4x4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,042
Location
Vidor, TX
Your rig is bogging at speeds up to 30MPH from the OEM Clutch Fan setup. It's engaged due to the engine temp, and it's trying to do it's job. Totally normal and the reason it's fine after 30MPH is at that speed the Fan Clutch disengages. An Efan will take that bog away, but it's either going to sound like a 747 or not be able to keep up with the Alpha's V8. I talked to James with SuperModulation, and his dual Efan setup sounds like it would work much better on our Alpha's vs a certain Sponsors pathetic attempt at cooling our V8's (I don't think it would cool an I5 either.....)

Also with those large tires, and no tune your speedo is certainly off.

The plugs/wires are easy on the V8 except for the plug/wire behind the alternator. I did all of mine without having to remove the inner fender liners. Your MPG is not going to improve much especially with a lift. I agree that in town MPG sucks due to all the stop/go traffic, and it seems all the Prius out there are the ones making me have to stop at every light because they're only going 20MPH in the first place.... I avoid Prius like the plague!
 
S

SedonaBound

Guest
The only dependable method for measuring gas mileage is using the odometer reading + the gallons on gas pump when you fill up; actual miles traveled divided by actual gallons used. The guage is very inaccurate.
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
Update: 10.2mpg... Hey as long as i'm getting double digits. I would like to be over 12, i'm going to try to stay under 2k rpms on this next tank, and see how it is.
 

CaliHummer

Active Member
Messages
39
Location
OC, California
I get 11.4 on my h2. Was getting 11.7 but with the roof rack kinda killed me. I've been driving to fast lately trying to get to school on time to. Running a 6" lift, 38"s, but im sure the reason why its so high is because of the k&n cold air intake and magna flow exhaust
 
S

SedonaBound

Guest
Worrying about H3 mileage with 35s is like eating pint of Haagen Dazs every night and wondering why the diet ain't working.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Update: 10.2mpg... Hey as long as i'm getting double digits. I would like to be over 12, i'm going to try to stay under 2k rpms on this next tank, and see how it is.
I just got over 13 with a SAS H3 with a roof rack, a winch, lots of heavy crap like sliders etc. and thats untuned! Its all about the regaer of 5.13s but a stock H3 front diff cant regear if you have an Inline 5...An alpha can go from 4.10s to 4.56s which would help a little.
 

chaos254

Well-Known Member
Messages
577
Location
United States
I get 15-16mpg mainly city driving. Thats on 35s w/ pcm tune and cai. If I was getting 10mpg I would probably just upgrade to an h2 lol
 

Panzer07

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,548
Location
Ontario, CA
I get about 12 that's with no tune and 35's...let's see if the numbers change. I notice a big drop in mpg going from 33 to 35...but then again mine came stock with 32 so sure once I get a tune I'll get a more accurate reading...I might be at the 14 mpg range but I won't know till I get a tune.


"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-Mark Twain-
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
I get about 12 that's with no tune and 35's...let's see if the numbers change. I notice a big drop in mpg going from 33 to 35...but then again mine came stock with 32 so sure once I get a tune I'll get a more accurate reading...I might be at the 14 mpg range but I won't know till I get a tune.


"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
-Mark Twain-

I had the stock 32's on mine as well, i'm getting more towards 12 mpg now.
 

CaseyS

Well-Known Member
Messages
755
Location
Louisiana
35s on a vehicle speedo calibrated for 32s will be about 8% low on mileage recorded. Are you guys correcting the mileage appropriately with these mileage numbers?
 

derian06

Red Rockett
Messages
1,866
Location
Madison, AL
d35b7c51426894b5e4e724f404dca037.jpg
things are looking brighter
 
Top