• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rear E-Locker Service Kits - what gives?

4speedfunk

Rear GM 8.6 Eaton E-locker...

Lots of us have this problem. If you have an Adventure Pak and you frequently use the rear locker, you probably have worn out some internal pieces. These parts can be replaced but, it can be a real challenge to get the correct part. For no other reason than Summit, Jegs, and even Eaton themselves cannot seem to verbally describe or post a photo of their "service kits". They are often described as "Posi service kit" or "actuator coil kit" both of which are incorrect. They either have no photo, or misleading "stock" photos of other parts that don't match our application. Expect to wait 3-4 weeks for these kits, as they are often back-ordered and rarely kept in stock by any major online source.

Eaton makes many rebuilt kits for their entire line of diffs. Be sure not to confuse the "posi" kits with the "e-locker" kits. The only one most of us are interested in is the GM 8.6 E-locker. So to clear the air, here are the (3) part numbers you may need...

#29296-00S Gear Service Kit
This kit is the one most of us need, (see photos). It comes with entire spider assembly...most of which is usually not needed. However it also comes with the (6) locking pins and matching side gear, which are commonly rounded-off. So you must buy all this to get the new side gear and pins. Take note that when you replace these gears, they are marked near the tip of the teeth, and the marks must be lined up when you install them. 90% of the time, you can re-use the existing shims and thrust washers and simply replace the pins & slotted side gear. But since it comes with them...go ahead and replace the entire spider assembly.

#29305-00S Locking Mechanism Kit
This kit has the other locker pieces. This includes the ramp plates, the roller thrust bearing & race, (3) ramp ball bearings, (6) locker springs, and a new snap ring. Ironically, the stock photo of this kit shows the electric stator/armature coil, which is NOT included. Duh. I have taken apart several of these diffs and found the ramp plates are broken. It's not real common but, if you find you have more damage than just the worn locker pins...this kit comes with most of the other parts needed to do a complete E-locker rebuild.

#29393-00S Stator/Armature Kit
This kit has the electric actuator coil. It comes with the stator/armature unit, a roller thrust bearing, race, and snap ring (duplicates of the parts included in the #2930-00S kit). Its been my experience that these rarely fail. Usually, if the coil is not working it is because someone has messed it up by prying on it, or there is a problem with the plug on the harness.

Below is a link to Eaton's differential catalog. Skip down to page 18 for the E-locker service kits. As most of us know, the FRONT AAM-7.6 E-locker is mysteriously missing from any/all Eaton publications. The front E-locker (2009-2010 AP models) remains a "GM only" item and Eaton treats it like Area 51 if you inquire about it. So I don't have any real info on the front locker.

Eaton Catalog Link >>>>
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...ormance-differential-application-guide-en.pdf

IMG_2309.jpg
All the parts in the 29296-00S kit.

IMG_2311.jpg
The slotted side-gear and (6) locker pins...the two critical parts you will probably need from the 29296-00S kit.

IMG_2310.jpg
The box it comes in.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention...this kit was $146 from Summit Racing.

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've had decent luck getting these kits from Summit. I do recall Reloader getting GM's rebuild kit and it did not include the slotted side gear, which of course is one of the two primary wear items.

jakesz28

I have one of these with perfect looking pins and side gears, but missing a shim or thrust washer for a side gear.

Can deliver in Moab.

aspen

next on the rebuild list of the truck but just going to buy a new rear locker complete

USMC_315

View attachment 27236
All the parts in the 29296-00S kit.

4speed, I just received my package in the mail. That stack of "rings" off to the left weren't in my box. I noticed that on Eaton's own website, those aren't shown in the product photo. Did those actually come with the kit? And are they necessary for the rebuild kit?

Also, my LPN is different. Does that matter? I got my kit from Jegs...
LPN: RS2618360

4speedfunk

Those are side gear shims...used to adjust the lash between the side and spider gears. Most likely you can reuse the ones already in your existing diff.