THE WANDERERS #18
HITTING THE TRAILS WITH "THE IRONMAN"
[h=1]By Rick Sieman[/h]
When we last left Carl and Emma, they had gotten lost in Baja on the way
down to Ensenada to see (and possibly race in!) the Baja 500. After
camping out overnight, Ivan Ironman Stewart stumbled across their camp in
the early hours of the morning while pre-running for the event. After
sharing coffee, Ironman agreed to lead Carl out of the back country into
the town of Ensenada.
Carl quickly broke camp as Emma did the dishes, then went out to inspect
Ivan's truck. "Say, Ironbutt, that there's a funny looking truck you got
there. Ain't enough room in the back for a sheet of plywood. Hope you
didn't pay too much for that unit. What's it worth, anyways?"
Ivan smiled. "Oh, I'd guess maybe four or five hundred thousand at the
outside. Of course, the radio's extra."
Carl let out a low whistle. "Hooooeeee'. Man, you coulda got a whole bunch
of Suburbans for that kind of money. And you can only get one person in
the front. Whattsa matter? They charge you extra for seats?"
Ivan bit his lip to keep a straight face. "You see, Carl, this is a
special kind of racing machine. It's made to do one thing, and that's to
go fast over bumpy ground."
Carl scratched his chin. "That means you gotta have some good shock
igsorbers under them fenders."
"You mean shock 'absorbers ..."
"Yeah, that's what I said. All them races affect your hearing or
something? Anyways, I found that if you can't afford a good set of
Ranchos, you can take some Monroe Adjusto-matics like they used to run on
El Caminos and drill a hole in 'em and take the old oil out and pour in
some Motor Honey instead. You can't hardly bottom them suckers then. No
charge for that tip, Ironhead.
"Uh, yes... well, thanks Carl. Listen, why don’t we get rolling here real
soon. I want to get back into town and have my crew make some changes to
the truck. Tell you what, I’ll just go nice and slow and you hang back
about a hundred yards so don't have to drive in the dust and..."
Carl cut in. "Listen up, Ironlips. Don't you worry none about me keepin'
up. I got a 454 under the hood and it ain't exactly stock. Whadda you got?
One of those four bangers? Or maybe a six? Your biggest problem will be
worrying about me banging into your rear end if I can't get on the brakes
quick enough. So you just get that Nissan up to speed and..."
"It's a Toyota..."
"That's what I said. Anyways, let's head for Enchilada and have a couple
of manzanitas to cool us down."
"You mean margaritas and ... oh, never mind."
***
Ivan fired up the nasty sounding race truck and smoothly got under way.
Carl lit off the 454 and threw up a fine looking pair of rooster tails.
Ivan drove easily and munched on some dried fruit as he enjoyed the sights
of the rugged back country.
At the same time, Carl was hammering the throttle and yanking wildly on
the steering wheel. Emma let out a squeal: "Carl, you slow The Whale down
or I'm going to poke one of my eyes out with this knitting needle. How do
expect me to finish this sweater if you drive like a wildman?"
Carl glanced over at Emma and yelled over the roar of the engine: "Hey,
put that sheep hair away and keep your seat belts tight. This here's good
practice if I up and decide to enter the Baja 600."
"You mean the Baja 500, dear."
"Yeah. That one, too, soon as I get done with the 600 first. Anyways, that
Irongut fella can sure drive. It's takin' everything I got to stay with
him."
Meanwhile, up front, Ivan was turning map pages with his right hand, while
steering with his left and balancing a bag full of dried fruit on his lap.
The Toyota had been in second gear for 20 minutes and the engine was
burbling just above idle.
Back in The Whale, magazines were fluttering through the air, fishing rods
were banging against the roof liner like limp celery, bags of chips were
splitting open, Ace the Wonder Dog was yelping as his food bowl clonked
him on the head, the refrigerator door flapped open and closed, the boat
on the top clanked up and down and the chemical toilet started flushing
itself every 20 seconds.
Up front, Ivan yawned and adjusted his sunglasses as the morning light
streamed through his windshield. The ancient two-track road wandered
through some canyons flanked by tall walls. Scrub brush and gnarly little
cactus dotted the landscape here and there.
The odd looking team of vehicles crested a rise and before them the mighty
Pacific Ocean came into view. It was a breathtaking sight. Ivan stopped
and hopped out. Carl screeched up behind the Toyota and tumbled out of The
Whale. A toaster, 11 magazines, five cans, a pair of binoculars, several
fishing reels, one box of Kelloggs Corn Flakes, a jar of peanut butter,
one tennis shoe and a medium-sized mutt fell out of the door well to the
dusty ground.
Ivan pointed to the ocean, which was hundreds of feet below. "Thought you
might enjoy the view."
Emma gushed. "Oh Carl, it's gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen
anything quite as beautiful!"
Carl bit off a plug of Red Man chewing tobacco and offered Ivan some,
which he politely declined. "Yup. The Mighty Gulf of Mexico," said Carl.
"It sort of takes your breath away."
Emma looked at Ivan and Ivan just held both hands at shoulder level, palms
up, and didn't even bother to correct Carl.
Twenty minutes later, they intersected the main highway heading into
Ensenada, where Ivan met his Toyota/PPI crew. Ivan gave directions to Carl
on how to find the SCORE people who were running the race, and they shook
hands and parted company.
Carl shifted his plug of chew from his right cheek to his left cheek.
"Nice guy, that Elvis Stewart. Hope he does good in the race. Speaking of
that, why don't we just wander down to find those SNORT officials and see
what it takes to enter this here race?"
Emma got a worried look on her face. "I'm not so sure about this, dear.
Racing is dangerous and the people who do it are professionals, maybe we
shouldn't risk our rolling home-away-from-home?"
Carl let out a big booming laugh. "Hey, don't you worry none, honey pot.
I'm sure these SNORT people wouldn't let some inexperienced yahoo out
there on the course to mess up good drivers like me and old Ironbutt.
Anyways, I got directions here and we're supposed to look up some guy
named... let's see … Sal Fish. He's the head of SNORT."
Carl and Emma eventually found the SCORE headquarters and asked for the
boss. A tall man in a cowboy hat pointed. "That's him. Guy with the black
mustache in the white shirt. His name is Sal Fish."
Carl wanderered (what else?) over and stuck out his hand. "Hidee doo, Mr.
Shellfish. My name is Carl and I want you to take a look at my rig and see
if I can enter your race?"
"Glad to meet you, Carl. By the way, the name is Sal. Sal Fish"
"Right. 'At's what I said. This sun got to your ears? So come on over
here, Sailfish, and check out my truck."
"The name is Sal Fish."
"Right. Well, here it is, Al. Whattaya think? Is she ready to roll?"
"Sal. Please, the name is Sal. Hmmm, let me see here. We haven't had many
race trucks with a boat on the roof and trail bike lashed to each end. And
I don't think our tech inspectors would let you race with that satellite
dish on the roof and all those rolled-up awnings on the sides."
"Hells-fire, Mr. Tuna, I know that!"
"Fish. The name is Fish. See if you can get it right. Tell you what, we
couldn’t let you race in the regular classes with a stove and fridge
inside, but we do have a class that might fit you just fine. It's called
our Safari class."
"Holdit, Flash. I don't wanna go for a stroll through the jungle. I came
here to do some serious off-roading."
"Carl, this is serious stuff alright. The Safari Class starts after all
the regular racers, and instead of racing each other, they're on a timed
schedule. Show up late at a check, and you lose points; show up too early,
and you lose points, too. The team with the least points wins. And you run
on most of the same course as the pros. Simple as that."
Carl beamed. "I like it, Cal. That means that the missus can ride along
with me as I go for the gold. Isn't that great, Emma? You get to be a
big-time racer. Whattaya think?"
Emma let out a small squealing sound like someone had just rammed a sharp
pencil up her nose.
Carl slapped Sal Fish on the back heartily. "This sounds like a great
idea, Al. C'mon, take a break and me and Emma will buy you a manzanita.
** *
Will Carl really enter the Baja 500 Safari Rally? Will Emma ride along
with him? Will Mexico ever be the same again? Next month should reveal all
these mysteries, and perhaps a few surprises. Stay tuned.