• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

UCP oem vs. aftermarket

Flash

Well-Known Member
Messages
195
Location
Michigan
Hunner makes good stuff. Highly recommended. Spring/shock skids are a must in my opinion.

I am running the OEM UCP and rocker rails and they have banged a lot of rock with me still running.
 

Pappibri

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,611
Location
Cohoctah, MI
I agree 4speedfunk. One can have a sweet looking ride and do some serious wheeling at the same time... Some of the stuff people do to nice rides is criminal. Like the You TuBe video of the clown in the Sut just abusing it.. No driving skills.. It must be nice to just be able to destroy a New Sut in one outing... I also want to get some UCP, but I want decent protection, not too much weight, due to the fact that I am not going to go too crazy, but will enjoy myself and my Hummer.
 

rsc

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,087
Location
Tulsa
Whats the problem with the weight? Everyone seems to talk like its gonna weigh a ton. I was about to make one like the DOI UCP that would go from the end of the stock engine UCP back to the crossmember by the fuel tank like the DOI one. Made out of 5/16 steel it was going to weigh about 140 lbs after I made several 2" x 10" lightening cutouts bringing the weight down by about 45 lbs. Using 1/4" steel would have saved about 25 lbs and I imagine 3/16 steel would bring the total weight for something like the full length DOI unit with minimal cutouts to around 100 lbs. That's about like throwing one of the kids in the vehicle, I would never notice the hit on performance. Do you guys think that an extra 65 lbs of weight over the stock UCP will really impact mileage, hillclimbing or sideslope angles?

Edited for math: materiel thickness x L x W x .284 = total weight of steel plate.
 
Last edited:

rsc

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,087
Location
Tulsa
I wish, don't have access to the plasma cutter or waterjet anymore. Otherwise I just might. If I ever get onto my regular laptop and not my tab I could upload the drawings with sizes and hole spacings.
 

silvrzuki77

Well-Known Member
Messages
556
Location
Vegas
The rasta skid plate was kind of skid i'm thinking about building. Use a few more bolt locations (possibly weld in) dimple die the aluminum for added rigidity. Light weight, strong, and will drain goop.
 
Top