• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

37"s

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Messages
3,718
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Wont most any tire that fits the appropriate rim diameter and is wide enough fit? The 75/r16? (Atleast in my case )

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
Any 37" will work on the stock rim as long as it is around 12.5" wide. I have seen 13.5" on stock rims before too but thats really pushing the limits of a 7.5" wide rim.

Tire size example 345/75R16
345 = Tire width in MM
75 = Aspect Ratio (sidewall height is 75% of tire width)
16 = Rim Diameter

345 / 25.4 (mm to in) = 13.58" (width)
13.58" x 75% = 10.185" (sidewall height)
10.185" x 2 (two sidewalls) + 16" (rim diameter) = 36.37" (diameter)

So a 345/75R16 is 36.37" x 13.58"
 
Last edited:

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Messages
3,035
Location
NC
Would tires that are 345/85/R16 fit? I guess that translates to 8.5" wide, right? Too much?

I still feel like a doofus trying to figure this tire bit out... :loser:
 

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Messages
3,035
Location
NC
Yeah, I saw that, Solar. I am a bit shaky on some of the process of converting there. I'm sure your math is 110% correct...I just have trouble with conversions. I will never claim to be a mathematician, that's for sure. :roll:

So far I've found learned of two different 37" tires that will fit the OEM wheels:

BFG T/A KM2's in a 345/75/16.....which is really a 36.38" tire.

and

Interco SS Iroks in a 37/12.5/16

Anyone have anything to add to that list? This might help somebody down the road.
 

Hans3T

Lif"T"ed
Messages
3,035
Location
NC
Do it Hans I wanna see 39's on Barney! That would be awesome

Psssh...nu-uh. I won't be getting new tires anytime soon, that is for darn sure. I'm just trying to learn a bit about what is possible and hopefully this will help some others down the road. I will certainly weigh the options regarding a set of 37"s, but not a millimeter higher. :d
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
So Hans, you gonna re-gear to 4.56's? The only guy I'm aware of that has run 37"s with stock gearing for any length of time, is Alaska-something-something (can't remember his forum name). I'm fairly certain his was a 4.56/3.5L truck. I'm sure off-road it would be very usable but, my experience with the 3.7L tells me that you might have some "gear-hunting" issues at high-way speeds...even worse if you pack tools or passengers. Obviously you got more torque but, I wonder how much tire is too much for the V8. Kflips has a 4.56 geared Alpha, right?

Some flat-landers seem to be cool with stock tires but, I got too many hills where I live.
 

08SolarFlareH3

Super Swampers
Messages
2,525
Location
Finger Lakes, NY
The only guy I'm aware of that has run 37"s with stock gearing for any length of time, is Alaska-something-something (can't remember his forum name). I'm fairly certain his was a 4.56/3.5L truck.
I know who you are talking about and his user name was Alaskantinbender. It was red H3 and had a Rancho Lift, 37" Mickey Thompson MTZ, ARB front bumper, and Safari Snorkel. You are right, it was a 3.5L and it had a 5 speed manual.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Alaskantinbender is currently on expedition portal. He posted up on my build thread I can PM him some questions

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
 

kflips

Well-Known Member
Messages
776
Location
Virginia
So Hans, you gonna re-gear to 4.56's? The only guy I'm aware of that has run 37"s with stock gearing for any length of time, is Alaska-something-something (can't remember his forum name). I'm fairly certain his was a 4.56/3.5L truck. I'm sure off-road it would be very usable but, my experience with the 3.7L tells me that you might have some "gear-hunting" issues at high-way speeds...even worse if you pack tools or passengers. Obviously you got more torque but, I wonder how much tire is too much for the V8. Kflips has a 4.56 geared Alpha, right?

Some flat-landers seem to be cool with stock tires but, I got too many hills where I live.


Yesni have 4:56 geared but 35's. No of one guy on another site with 37's on an alpha T and seems to enjoy them, I cannot remember if he geared to 4:56
 

atvspeed4

Well-Known Member
Messages
1,211
Location
massachusetts
Anyone have suggestions of what width and backspacing to run h1 tires on 16.5 wheels. My friend just bought an h1 and our other offroading buddy is going to be running humvee 37s on his 2500 dodge so we are thinking of buying a couple pallets of surplus humvee tires and having them siped. While not optimal for their stiffness and tread pattern, at $40-60 a piece its a great deal and when we measured them yesterday they were 35.2". I would only be running them offroad and keeping my stock set of tires for commuting.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Ive been holding off on new tires. I will get new ones right before a big off roading trip so I dont start wearing them down on the road now. This next set will be 35s. the set after that will be 37s. It will give me two years to start making the front end 37 worthy. Strength and regear is #1 on my list.
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
37s with an I5 and 4.56 gears in a hilly area is no fun at freeway speeds. 35s on the freeway isnt fun sometimes. I NEED to regear, I NEED to strengthen the front end. I am not worried about halfshafts. Personally I believe getting a stronger housing and ring gear with some RCV halfshafts will be strong enough for the H3 on 37s. Tie rods arent even a concern either, I only broke one, it was a 14mm and it was my error. Now that I have seen the scenario of how it broke I can avoid it. I would beef them up too but thats easy. The steering rack is what scares me and needs some reenforcement.

I really want to run 37s but I refuse to be a ticking time bomb when it comes to blowing up parts on the front end. the rear axle doesnt concern me one bit, It can handle some abuse with bigger tires.
 

reaper

Well-Known Member
Messages
527
Location
Denver, Colorado
I replaced my front half-shafts with Alpha half shafts from Brodie. I forget why... I think they are a little beefier. Have you done that? (Do you have a front locker? I forget...)
 

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Messages
9,503
Location
Meridian, ID
Nope...I'm running an aluminum diff no locker no alpha shafts. If we could regear I'd just get a CI case and do what 4speed had in mind with the truss.
 

abearden

Well-Known Member
Messages
609
Location
N. Idaho
I'm about to drop all new steering and suspension components into my k2500 "heavy half" along with H1 rims and 37" radials. Unknown differential ratio at this point. I'll let you know how it holds up. :giggle:
 

4speedfunk

Well-Known Member
Messages
4,250
Location
Tardville
Aside from all the "other" mods I've done, I can say without question...the five-cylinder absolutely LOVES the 5.13s & 35s combo. I never dreamed my H3 could drive so nice, and the MPG isn't any worse than it was with 4.56s. I actually use less pedal now because the motor stays within the power-band it was designed for. Gone is the "dragging a parachute" feeling and the hunting & downshifting at highway speeds. It accelerates and cruises better than it did off the showroom. The 3.7L seems like a real dog to most of us but, you can blame that on big tires...it simply doesn't have enough torque and it desperately needs lower gears to make them tolerable.

Too bad there is no gearing available for the AAM-7 front...the improvement is drastic and immediate. I dare say that the SAS is just a by-product of the gearing swap! I'll be up-sizing to 37s in September.
 
Top